Thinking of putting the 1200's to rest...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Thinking of putting the 1200's to rest...

I have been an active Technics 1200 user for many years, maybe 15 years + and last few years only using Serato Scratch. I must say I have found it working great. I never had any problems and a very easy to use interface.
    I only feel it does not do so many "bells and whistles" as Traktor.

I am feeling maybe time to go the non deck route and let my 1200's go on Ebay. I was thinking to go Traktor and VCI -100 route, but wondering if it will be a close emulation or I maybe might be a little disappointed.
    I am not very thrilled by Serato itch as it has no effects or anything special but control without standard decks.

One thing I do not like about deck controllers is one must "hook up" in the club
    and can be a little weird and nerve racking.

So any others feel like me or think Serato is better than Traktor and I could be making a big mistake?

Seems these days digital dj'ing offers more for the crowd and dj , so it seems simple decks and simple software could be heading for the stone age unless one is a scratch master or very, very tallented on decks alone. Seems the VCI-100/Traktor way is more like a dj/studio performance.

ANy thoughts and opinions before I may make a major move..
    Last edited by claudek; 08-22-2008 at 02:16 AM.

Keep the 1200's, I have 2 pair, letting them go is like getting rid of your first born.

The VCI-100 is a sweet midi controller and has knobs, fader, buttons for days to come up with new setups for your mixing style.

IMO Serato was made for dj's that need turntables to make them still feel like a "real" dj. Now Serato is a good program, keeps it simple and to the point...2 turntables and a mixer.

Now Traktor is a good program too but it does have it issues that you have to tweak as you go. Hooking up at a club is simple, atleast for me, I use Echo Indigo DJ so setup is very easy. I have a ata style case that holds my vci, plus i have a laptop stand. I get to fit my rig in very tight spaces. I'll try to get a pic of my setup so you can get an idea.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

dont sell the 1200's do buy a vci then use both ;D its what I do. Mixing analog n digital ftw!

Tech Guru

Thanks all..good points
    I just saw some posts here and seems many have let the "1200's go to collecting dust".
    So just needed some input. Yes, turntables are kind of like family to me and always look nice in the crib.

Dude... It has see through dustcovers, no problems in the dusting area.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, don't get rid of the 1200's. If you're proficient in using them get the VCI-100, and put them together.

I have never used Serato, but I like the modular nature of Traktor. I can have my full set up, or just pieces. I can either bring a huge desk to spin at a club and fill it with gear, or I can go to a little closet booth and fit my lappy and VCI.

Especially being that clubs in NYC don't really have turntables anymore.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Id love a turntable to mod the hell out of personally

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Id love a turntable to mod the hell out of personally
    Blasphemy!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

here's what you want to do... (in my opinion)

ROUTE 1: (THE MORE EXPENSIVE ROUTE)
    1. GET TRAKTOR + AUDIO 8 DJ bundle
    2. STILL ROCK THE 1200s
    3. get a pad controller (http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/08/0...ler-smackdown/)

you'll have the best of both worlds. you can assign the effects + cue points on the pad controller and rock the tables.

ROUTE 2: THE "STICK WITH WHAT YAH GOT ROUTE"
    1. get a pad controller this will allow you to rock cue points in serato
    2. get a mixer / update your mixer to one with effects...

you'll basically be able to do a lot of the advanced things you can do with traktor with serato.

all in all, download the traktor trial @ Native Instruments and check it out.... I played with both for a few months before going with Traktor... the reason being I don't want to rock turntables. I want to mash buttons and program midi....
    "This is the soundtrack to the nightmares in which I can't wake up. I'm about to be murdered, or I'm being forced to jump off a cliff. Thank you."
    http://www.myspace.com/kagnawh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast