DJ Action Plan: DJ gig by Dec 2015
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default DJ Action Plan: DJ gig by Dec 2015

Hi,

My objective is DJ in venues at least once a week (max 2 times per week). DJing is a hobby of mine, but also my passion. I love entertaining the crowd, especially when I see people really enjoying the music.

Action Plan:

1. tracktor S4
    2. Make mixtapes, discover music (schedule 1 hr/day)
    Resources: soundcloud, beatport, last.fm, rdio, bandcamp, etc.
    3. learn how to beat match (schedule 1 hr/day)
    Resoucres: youtube, native instruments, etc.
    4. read beyond beatmatching ebook
    5. connect with DJs you know (ex. dj o show, etc.)
    6. attend workshops, classes, etc.
    Resources: schoolofremix.com
    7. register record pool
    Resources: latenightrecordpool, djcity
    8. listen to top beats via music pool
    9. practice, practice, practice

I know DJing takes time like any other skill, but goal starting from today is to have one gig (volunteer or paid) by the end of 2015.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Last edited by rocaso; 12-21-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    MacBook Air 2011
    Traktor S4 w/ Traktor Pro 2
    Creative T20 Speakers
    Sony MDR Headphones
    http://soundcloud.com/official_djromeo

Dude, what you have done is the begining to what every successful person in the world does. Make a list of goals and put that up someone that you see it every day. I have literally put 6 month and one year goal lists up in my bathroom. Every morning while I brush my teeth I woukd look at my list of goals and think what do I have to do to get a step closer to obtaining them. Then I would think about all the things that would hinder me that day from my goals and dreams. Then at night I would do the same thing while brushing my teeth. Think about my day, what helped and what hindered. That is the number 1 way to stay motivated and keep your eye on the prize.

You have a very definitive plan. Now its time to get at it. No excuses, no bullshit. Good luck with you dreams in 2015. I can promise you that if you work hard every day and stay focused on your goals, all of that is obtainable.

Tech Convert

Great plan! Start making contacts now, though. Getting a residency is based on skill but also trust.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    Dude, what you have done is the begining to what every successful person in the world does. Make a list of goals and put that up someone that you see it every day. I have literally put 6 month and one year goal lists up in my bathroom. Every morning while I brush my teeth I woukd look at my list of goals and think what do I have to do to get a step closer to obtaining them. Then I would think about all the things that would hinder me that day from my goals and dreams. Then at night I would do the same thing while brushing my teeth. Think about my day, what helped and what hindered. That is the number 1 way to stay motivated and keep your eye on the prize.

You have a very definitive plan. Now its time to get at it. No excuses, no bullshit. Good luck with you dreams in 2015. I can promise you that if you work hard every day and stay focused on your goals, all of that is obtainable.
    That put a tear in my eye. Well said.
    MacBook Air 2011
    Traktor S4 w/ Traktor Pro 2
    Creative T20 Speakers
    Sony MDR Headphones
    http://soundcloud.com/official_djromeo

Dude I play every thursday, friday and saturday, 10 years ago I started doing exactly what you wrote down!

It is closer than you think!! If you start doing these things I bet you can have a gig within 6 months!

Here's what you will find...

1. Your basic dj skills will evolve very quickly, you should have intermediate mixing and blending skills mastered within 4 to 5 months as long as you practice!

2. Any further skills will come slowly and very subtly.

3. Your musical tastes will change, sometimes quite abruptly and differently. FOLLOW THOSE FEELINGS!

4. You will come to see all the hypocrisy and evilness in the music industry. DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN!!

5. DO NOT become a facebook whore dj! If you follow this advice it will save you alot of pain and suffering later. Just post good music and stay in the background. You will become more respected than those idiot bedroom djs who are just starting shit and trolling all day on FB.

6. Go to EVENTS. Be a face that is always there. Let the local djs see you. Keep reminding them who you are. Hand out CDs keep a smile on your face always. Buy the DJ's drinks. Don't be a vulture, don't go to one event and ask to jump on the decks, give it time, it will come.

7. When you do get your opportunity, don't go nuts. I'm sure when many of us started, we had these strange urges to crowd surf, spray champagne on the crowd and do many of those stupid things. Be CLASSY! Be DIFFERENT! All that stuff was kinda cool a few years ago, but we have all grown pretty tired of it.

8. STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM DRUGS AS POSSIBLE! (you may laugh at me....but you'll see )

I am just trying to steer you in the right direction and avoid some pitfalls. I only speak from years of experience.

Awesome advice from someone balls deep in the game.

I would like to emphasize something here, the elephant in the room if you will. Number 8 on that list is huge.

Remember when I talked about my list I made and hung up in the bathroom for years? Number 8 was the only thing in life that was able to rob me of almost 3 years of any progress in my journey. That is why its so important to stay focused on your list EVERY DAY.

Geat advice, Von.

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    Awesome advice from someone balls deep in the game.

I would like to emphasize something here, the elephant in the room if you will. Number 8 on that list is huge.

Remember when I talked about my list I made and hung up in the bathroom for years? Number 8 was the only thing in life that was able to rob me of almost 3 years of any progress in my journey. That is why its so important to stay focused on your list EVERY DAY.

Geat advice, Von.
    Not hard to do here in Chicago where drugs run the game basically. Want a good connect? Do blow with people. I don't recommend anyone doing so, but it's true.

@William Gibson...am i right or what.

I would still have cdj 2000's, djm 2000, xone mixers, 1200's, production equipment. haha it was all good times but man if you don't KEEP YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT you will become very poor very fast, you might even lose your joy for DJ'ing.

Keep your head on straight Roasco! Just by creating this list, you are showing that you have alot of good planning qualities. Me and alot of other guys on here, had to figure out alot of that stuff by trial and error... it sucks. But you are on the right track my friend.

i need to do this to be more disciplined. i have told myself I would do something and then completely get uninspired. i think having a list you look at everyday will keep you motivated and inspired. i have a clipboard right by my door. i will make sure to do this to prepare for next year.

good luck and best wishes to you, fellow aspiring dj!

Rocaso, Just watched this video randomly for the first time. Skip to 1:58 and give it a listen for a minute....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast