Good controller for scratching and mixing (newbie)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good controller for scratching and mixing (newbie)

Hi !

I have this problem that is keeping me from starting DJ'ing as a new hobby, for now. I got bitten by this bug that wants to not only listen to different house/techno songs, but to jam along and participate in mixing the song. Also I am really looking forward in starting to learn to scratch, as also being into hip-hop style of music. I've been playing guitar and drums for about 8 years so I think my sense of rhythm won't be a barrier.

First of, I have been looking for different MIDI controllers and even normal turntables, but haven't encountered one, that would fit my needs (as based on reviews). I have a quite small budget of about 700 euros and plan to use the software that comes with the hardware.

I got really hyped about the VCI-300 for it's large jog-wheels, and thought that I really wouldn't be needing different FX. I was literally minutes away from ordering it, but then noticed that Vestax informs that it's not recommended to use with AMD Turion 64 x2, which I unfortunately have. Pretty amazed that it is not really that noticeably informed around different distributors and reviews ?

Could you help me out and recommend any product that you think would suit my needs ?

Any help is appreciated !

Edit: Okay, i probably got this in the wrong section, but don't beat me for it !
    Last edited by Shapeshifter; 11-03-2009 at 03:52 PM.

ns7?

+1 on the ns7.
    i have the ns7 and i'm completely happy with it. its extremely responsive and extremely fun =D. serato also announced that all of its products will have some sort of functionality with Ableton coming soon. itch lacks a sampler (hopefully ableton will fix this), but i think its the best controller that can emulate turntables.
    its priced a little high and it doesnt come with any fx, but i still love it.

i am by no means a turntablist. when i got mine i was completely new to the djing game too. on it, i learned to beatmatch (sans the sync button =D) and do some basic scratches. now i'm an ableton guy.

hope this helps. good luck man, if you have any questions feel free to ask

NS7 if you can afford it, VCI300 if u dont wanna break the bank. Lotta bang for your buck. Very good controller, and extremly capable scratcher.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Mentor

I would save for hte NS7 if you want to learn how to scratch, or if you're really hardcore, try to pick up a pair of TTs and get a DVS. The VCI 300 /might/ do kind of okay for scratching, but you'd be much better off with something like the NS7. I got a chance to play around with one today at my local guitar center, and it was pretty much one of the coolest things ever.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    I would save for hte NS7 if you want to learn how to scratch, or if you're really hardcore, try to pick up a pair of TTs and get a DVS. The VCI 300 /might/ do kind of okay for scratching, but you'd be much better off with something like the NS7. I got a chance to play around with one today at my local guitar center, and it was pretty much one of the coolest things ever.
    The NS7 is definitely better for scratching but the VCI300 is definitely better than ok....it was made for scratching, watch DeezNotes and DJ Smackahoes Youtube videos.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

The NS7 is the only controller remotely decent for scratching but it does not compare to the real thing. If you really want to scratch, there is nothing like a pair of technics and Traktor Scratch or Serato with a real mixer. You can get a Traktor Scratch Duo setup with a used set of technics 1200s with needles off craigslist and solid Vestax mixer (also off craigslist or ebay) for less than $1000 so a bit less than an NS7 and it is the way to go.

I would hardly call a DVS hardcore but if you want to scratch you will love it and it is the only thing that comes close to feeling real.

well plenty of dmc guys have checked out the ns7 and have liked it. no dissing other products =D be constructive =D =D =D =D =D

VCI-100 se + soundcard
    or
    VCI-300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast