Unwanted Audio Interference - Please Help!

Default Unwanted Audio Interference - Please Help!

Hi everyone, I have tried to put this in the most appropriate section.

I have just built up a new computer and am experiencing seriously bad audio interference with my monitors.
    At the moment I am using my on board audio but have an Akai EiE IO Pro on the way, i'm hoping the interference will be gone when I get it but for the time being what could it be? and what can I do to minimise this?

I have moved my wireless Mouse and Keyboard Receiver as far as I can at this time as It is worse when I move the mouse or use the keyboard, So I had a hunch it may be to do with the wireless.

I am using an Asrock FX990 Extreme 3 motherboard and a pair of Yamaha HS5's straight into the board with a twin jack to single mini jack. Mouse and Keyboard receiver is plugged into the front of the PC.

I am not a fan of wireless mouse and keyboards but with my current set up it is the most convenient.

Thanks for any assistance!

That's just a problem with onboard sound. The stereo mini jack also means an unbalanced connection to the monitors as well, and those cables act as radio antennas....just like the unbalanced and unshielded wires on the motherboard, which pick up all the radio waves caused by all the other wires in your computer.

Basically....there's nothing you can do except wait for your audio interface and then switch to balanced cabling (TRS or XLR) to the speakers.

Default Interference reduction

azzabdj,

I have had trouble with unwanted interference in the past. Through a little investigation, I think you should be able to compensate.

First, let's find out where the noise is being generated. Play something that you can hear the noise occur and is a few minutes long using the software that you normally do (unless it occurs when not playing sound also). Does this also occur in media player or other software?

Since you suspect your wireless receiver, unplug it. Also, if using wifi for internet unplug/disable that temporarily. Does that cause it to stop?

If it continues, try twisting the audio plug a few times in the soundcard. Sometimes a bad connection can cause a buzz. Also, trying a different audio cable is worth a try (borrowing one is cheaper than purchasing since we are only trying to determine where it is originating).

Do you happen to have a piece of hard metal? The side panel of an old PC works great. Wave the panel between wires and listen for differences in the noise. Placing your audio cable too close to an electric cord is sometimes problematic.

If none of the above work, I would try a laptop/tablet/phone and set it on top of the PC and plug the audio cable into it to test if the interference continues. If it does not with a different device, you may have a dirty-power issue (bad/cheap power supply unit, ungrounded connection, heavy appliance on circuit, etc.)

Let me know how this works for you :-)