Kick drum phasing/dc offset

Default Kick drum phasing/dc offset

I don't know what is up but for a few now I'm having major issues with SDJ when mixing say trance it's super touchy on the kicks phasing/dc offset? My only thing I thought just recently is I wonder if it's the pitch n time plugin....

Here are two mixes first one skim through to about 65ish mark this set was really really bad for it
    http://www.mixcloud.com/harmonicdreams/deep-epic-deep/

Now this one I paid extremely close attention and avoided it quite a bit... I did this by boosting the low on track I was mixing out of
    http://www.mixcloud.com/harmonicdrea...-kind-of-week/

A bit better but I'm stumped... I don't use sync if that applies somewhere but I do have quantization on and pitch n time plugin enabled...

I will try disabling pitch n time next set and see how it goes

A DC offset would probably only happen with the source tracks. I doubt Serato's dumb enough to induce one of its own.

That phasing thing just happens, and the simplest way to adjust it out is to be really precise with your beatmatch and just move one track (in relation to the other) so it sounds the way you want. There's noting wrong and no way to stop it....if the peaks of the waveform line up, the sound gets louder...if a positive peak lines up with a negative peak, they cancel. That's just what happens when you sum audio tracks.

As an experiment, you can take a song file and load it into Ableton, PT, or any DAW that lets you place things precisely enough....exactly line them up. If you just press play, the master will peak twice as loud (+6dB on a digital FS meter) as if one track was playing by itself. If you flip the phase of one of them (and placed them exactly correct), you will hear silence and the meter will peak at whatever noise floor you're working with (very likely actually silent in a DAW).

This is honestly one of the reasons I use sync instead of beatmatching. All turntable motors (even 1200s) drift, so keeping on top of that phase cancellation (bass is just where it's most obvious) is a constant job. It's a lot easier and more precise to just have them together, pitch bend until it sounds right, and not worry about it again.

Yeah see that's where it's odd I can make it not happen by nudging the track out a little according to waveform but it sounds like it's not quite right whereas next track no issue......

I may just make sure to pay closer attention as that's best for me... I don't like or care for sync and I surely do kit beat grid tracks properly if at all hell I even have mixed feelings about quantization

I mean it almost looks and sounds like they are matched so perfectly they cancel each other but could be bass vs kicks issue on either tracka

Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    Yeah see that's where it's odd I can make it not happen by nudging the track out a little according to waveform but it sounds like it's not quite right whereas next track no issue......
    Right.

It has to do with the specific sounds in the tracks. Some songs just don't go together well.

Serato question > Serato Forum.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Not really a serato question and would not 85% of the questions asked in the general discussion area need to be moved to either the serato or traktor or other sub forum?

Not really a serato question and would not 85% of the questions asked in the general discussion area need to be moved to either areas?