Kontrol S8 on Macbook Pro....reliable for gigging ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Kontrol S8 on Macbook Pro....reliable for gigging ?

Torn between a Kontrol S8 or a Xone DB4 for a new live rig for Traktor.

Love the S8 for its plug n play format.
    But as the model is new, wanna know from people how reliable they are finding it.
    On the NI forums, some people are reporting crashes after every 2 hours and similar stuff.
    Also, is it true that the controller cannot be remapped in HID mode ?? What is the difference between HID and MIDI mode ? what are the pros n cons. I would at least like to map the remix section to FX unit 3 n 4.......

But yeah, needs to be reliable and rock solid during performance.....

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nyne

Quote Originally Posted by nynemusic View Post
    Torn between a Kontrol S8 or a Xone DB4 for a new live rig for Traktor.

Love the S8 for its plug n play format.
    But as the model is new, wanna know from people how reliable they are finding it.
    On the NI forums, some people are reporting crashes after every 2 hours and similar stuff.
    Also, is it true that the controller cannot be remapped in HID mode ?? What is the difference between HID and MIDI mode ? what are the pros n cons. I would at least like to map the remix section to FX unit 3 n 4.......

But yeah, needs to be reliable and rock solid during performance.....

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nyne
    I've been playing on it for 4 days now on a 2013 Macbook Pro 13" Retina and no crashes as of yet. The sound is definitely better than the previous S2/S4 versions and having XLR outs is money. I've had a few bumps in the road and still ironing out some things. There's a learning curve for sure but it's been reliable and I'm starting to get the hang of it. If you can afford a DB4 and it suits your workflow (maybe coupled with 2 X1s), that's a setup that's hard to beat.

It sounds like you use a lot of FX which also makes the DB4 a good choice for you. There are no custom mappings on the S8 yet but there are PLENTY of FX options on this thing. If you can afford it, go buy one from Guitar Center and test it out for a few weeks, return it if you don't like it. You can always put a few hundred bucks down and sign up for financing and return it if it doesn't suit you. I would at least play with it for a week before jumping to conclusions. First two days, I did not like it. Today I am drooling.

If effects are that important to you, the DB4s effects blow Traktor's away.

Cheers

Tech Mentor

Thanks groovejedi. I do use FX but what i really need is a rock solid reliable solution with minimum set up time.......

Well, there's no solutions, only trade-offs. So you need to figure out what you need in terms of workflow and prioritize. The S8 is awesome but remember it also takes up a good chunk of real estate if you're trying to plug in at a gig. Not sure what your situation is but both sound like awesome setups to me!

Tech Mentor

I am following ur threads GJ, did u get ur issues sorted ?

Quote Originally Posted by nynemusic View Post
    I am following ur threads GJ, did u get ur issues sorted ?
    Not yet, really hoping someone here can help!

Tech Mentor

I really hope all gets resolved for you mate!
    I hate it when gear doesnt work as advertised.....

Had my S8 since the day it was released and no issues with stability here on my MBP, dead solid so far.

Tech Mentor

Hi Tarekith, i have followed ur posts and spoken to you at the ableton forums as well.
    Ur endorsement means a lot to me.
    I am a bit scared about the screens and touch strip though, but it does seem like a good all-in-one unit.
    How do u like the sound quality though ?

Sounds quality is fine for me, it seems a bit better than the S4 and I never had any issues with that unit either in terms of sound quality. I love the S8, can't recommend it enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast