Music Production: What Should I Buy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Music Production: What Should I Buy?

Hey Guys I want to get into music Production. I have £350 pounds to spend ($444). So far I have Ableton live 9 and a macbook air. It would be great if you could help. Thanks

Maybe a Launchpad and some good headphones?

If you already have headphones, get a Push.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

a good comfortable mouse, a good comfortable computer keyboard. Midi keyboard.

Tech Mentor

Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

if you do not have an audio interface, i would get one before anything else.

Tech Guru

Monitors. I don't know why anyone would suggest anything else?
    Yamaha HS5 to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Monitors. I don't know why anyone would suggest anything else?
    Yamaha HS5 to be exact.
    i think half the people would suggest a new guy uses a good set of cans and half would suggest monitors. At least with a good set of cans its cheaper and you take the room/acoustics variable out. For a new guy, sometimes its a little much for them to start looking at different monitors, different sound cards and also read about acoustics where you are making music. Way easier to just grab a decent set of cans and start learning the basics of producing.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    i think half the people would suggest a new guy uses a good set of cans and half would suggest monitors. At least with a good set of cans its cheaper and you take the room/acoustics variable out. For a new guy, sometimes its a little much for them to start looking at different monitors, different sound cards and also read about acoustics where you are making music. Way easier to just grab a decent set of cans and start learning the basics of producing.

I know what you're saying but producing in headphones should be limited to when needs must/referencing.
    You don't need an audio interface to use a pair of monitors either. Just plug them straight into the jack for now.
    Makes a lot more sense to me and you get a much better representation of the sound.

A second hand pair of HS5s will be around £200. Leaves a good amount left over for a keyboard. Nice, basic setup to build on.

I recommended cans because you can get a far more accurate set of headphones for that price than monitors, and of course it doesn't have any acoustic issues either. I'd always prefer monitors over headphones, but when you don't have a lot of money I think sometimes it makes more sense to start small and work your way up to something actually worth spending money on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast