Stereo => Mono
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stereo => Mono

Tech Mentor

Default Stereo => Mono

Hi all,

Unfortunatly my Xone42 has no mono out (should have saved up for a 62...), since I'm running just one speaker I put this two-to-one box in between my mixer and speaker.

4405428_800.jpg
    http://www.thomann.de/nl/millenium_sml_21.htm

Is this the right way to go from stereo to mono or am I degrading the quality of the audio? Is there a better way of doing stereo to mono?

Running mono because I don't think stereo sound adds much to techno music, most of the clubs (actually, all clubs I know) are set up mono and besides that I only have room for one speaker

Greetz
    Jordi

Pull out the red RCA from the back of the mixer. Voila, mono.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Right-hand Xlr is the same as red Rca i assume?

No XLR is not the same as RCA. And for dynamically mastered tunes with any stereo width and instrument placement, only running left or right at once is not the correct way to create a mono signal. I dont see anywhere that the thomann box creates an actual mono field? If it is simply taking two xlr's and turning them into one, you might run into stereo phase issues. You need something more like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Pull out the red RCA from the back of the mixer. Voila, mono.
    Thats not mono.

Thats just half the stereo image. Quite different.

Jordi, that Millenium box is perfect for what you need.. The Whirlwind that hellnegative linked would also work, same concept. I don't see why you would encounter any negative effects, you're good to go as far as I can tell!

Correction on the Whirlwind, it's for mic merging not line level merging. Go with the Millenium one.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Sorry for the misinformation - thanks for the correction Frankle!

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the info!

One more question...

What is the difference between the Millenium box and way more expensive merger box' like these:

http://www.palmer-germany.com/pro/en...ssive-PMBL.htm

Or even active one's:

http://www.palmer-germany.com/pro/en...tive-PMBLA.htm

Tech Convert

Those expensive boxes are transformer isolated, meaning that the 2 inputs are not physically connected to each other, and audio signal is transferred through the transformer, like in a DI box. This means that if you connect 2 different pieces of equipment they cannot damage each other via their audio connection, and also it should prevent any hums or buzzes if they are being run from different power supplies with different earth potentials. Also, they are stereo, in that 2 Left and Right inputs are merged to 1 Left and Right ouptut.

Seeing as you are merging 2 signals from the same piece of equipment (i.e. your mixer), and you only want to create one mono output, then they are overkill for you needs, and the first product you linked to is fine for what you want to achieve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast