Advice Sought: SR vs SX2 vs XDJ-1000(s)

Default Advice Sought: SR vs SX2 vs XDJ-1000(s)

I’ve got a $2K budget for upgrading my DJ setup. I'm looking for fellow forum recommendations.

I wanted your opinion on how to proceed as I look to upgrade from my current low-grade setup (a pair of low-end Denon CD players + Vestax 4-channel mixer).

About me: I’ve DJed off and on for the past 7 years and I’ve hit the breaking point with pure CDs (I just hate burning 10-20 CDs before each occasional gig with music, as it’s fairly time-consuming and not very efficient + I edit most of my tracks in Ableton Live).

In terms of type of gigs I do, I’ll mainly be doing gigs in and around the NYC area (mainly at bars) or the occasional warm-up slot or mobile gig (I have a soundsystem).

I’ve given myself 3 options
    - getting a pair of XDJ 1000s or
    - getting either a Pioneer SR controller OR SX2 controller in combo with a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro(2.53Ghz intel and 4 GB 1067 MHz DDr3)

Pros and Cons of Each (IMO):

XDJ-1000 Pros:

• Seem more reliable and durable than a controller setup in the long-run (infinitely less likely to crash during a gig than a controller setup)
    • A seemingly easier transition for me to be able to switch to any of the industry-standard CDJs that clubs have if I open up for DJs (CDJ-2000 + 900 Nexus) as I’ll be familiar with Rekordbox and the players.
    • Seems like I could eventually add a SR to my setup if compatibility becomes an issue

XDJ-1000 Cons:

• A lot of small bars don’t have them, they usually have 2 technics/belt-driven turntables if anything (meaning I’d have to carry them to the gig).
    • More costly than the controller setup (I do have a $2K budget)

Pioneer SX2 Pros:

• Seemingly more durable and reliable than the SR (not USB-powered)
    • 4 channel mixer instead of 2, allowing me to add an additional deck if need be.
    • more mobile DJ friendly as there’s an XLR output that I could attach to all external sound systems
    • Same setup everywhere which leads to you being really familiar with your equipment.

Pioneer SX2 Cons:

• How reliable is it in the heat of the moment?
    • I would have to carry it to every gig.
    • I’d prolly add the UDJ backpack to my mix to carry around to each gig in add the magna control stand
    • Hard to fit in a lot of bar/club DJ booths (maybe the magna control stand)

Pioneer SR Pros:

• Very portable
    • Would easily fit into most DJ booths
    • Cheapest out of all the options

Pioneer SR Cons:

• Apparently not 100% reliable
    • Primarily USB powered w/o a power supply making it heavily reliant on the laptop
    • Once again, reliability (what do you guys think?)
    • No XLR output

Tech Guru

I haven't heard of reliability issues on the controllers. If anything fails, it's usually the computer.

That said, I'd go with the XDJs or an older CDJ. The other option is to go DVS. Use timecode CDs with some older CDJ900s and then use vinyl when you're at the venue.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Get the XDJ's. They are pretty lightweight. Whether you get a controller or not, you are still taking something with you to the venue.

Of course, this IS coming from the guy that lugs around his coffin with turntables and mixer to every gig cause he prefers turntables.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by hellnegative View Post
    Get the XDJ's. They are pretty lightweight. Whether you get a controller or not, you are still taking something with you to the venue
    Assuming he's using rekordbox and the club or bars cdjs are at least 350/850/900/2k there's no reason to bring anything additional to play

I have the SR and its is a very cool and handy little controller and feels very solidly built, head and shoulders above many other controllers.

Personally I'd go with the xdj though

Tech Guru

I use TSP2 with timecode normally, but I also have an SX2 which i won. I would use the SX2 in the odd smaller venue where they don't really have a setup as such, or in a venue with unreliable or older gear.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Only downside I can see with the SR would be no XLR outputs. If that's not an issue, I'd say just go with the SR.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

Tokyo/Toronto