Kontrol F1, loops and phrasing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Default Kontrol F1, loops and phrasing.

I've recently purchased a Kontrol F1, and it's so far been pretty neat.

I don't typically use sync with Traktor, unless I'm doing a long loop, or want to do a 3rd deck. For straight up mixing, I use CDJ-2000's in HID mode, and beat match manually. In other words, I don't bother to manually beat grid all of my tracks, but Traktor usually gets the beat detection down really quite good nowadays.

When I use the F1, I of course have Sync turned on, with a track deck as master. If I wait for an upcoming phrase to begin, I often find that when I trigger a loop Traktor "waits" 2, 3 or 4 beats before starting the loop. Hmm.

I can turn off Quantize, but that means I need to throw the beat in at the exact moment, not easy to do.

So why is this so? I thought Quantize would just cause Traktor to match to the closest beat, but it's almost as if the software has it's own sort of phrase detection it's trying to do.

Is there a way to turn this off?

Tech Mentor

There is a way to reduce the quantize... hold down the Quant button and select one of the lit up buttons on the second column... they are tighter than the first. the display will show the new value as you click. I think a lot of the remix sets default to a full beat.

Tech Mentor

btw... been using the remix decks more and more lately. Mostly to add extra layers... I mainly have an extra kick, hats, and some percussion going the whole set to add something when there are too many breaks. Can't seem to come around to using it for "live remixing" yet.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRome View Post
    There is a way to reduce the quantize... hold down the Quant button and select one of the lit up buttons on the second column... they are tighter than the first. the display will show the new value as you click. I think a lot of the remix sets default to a full beat.
    Oh geez, that was it. I really should have read the rest of the manual

Hold the "QUANT" button, select how many beats to quantize. Default was set to 4, I switch to 1 and now it responds to when I tap the pads.

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

No problem! Manuals are long and boring
    You'll get the hang of it.
    The other very useful button in the Capture button... loop something in a track deck deck, hold Capture and another button in the 4x4 matrix and it captures that loop on the fly into the remix deck.

It really is a fun tool... just takes some practice and is better for some styles of music more than others.

Enjoy!

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Yep I've played with the capture button, very cool.

So more on the phrasing, I didn't quite realize that the deck works the same as the other decks with regards to a timeline. The 1.1.1 beat timer and such... If I hit the "cue" button, it resets to 1.1.1. I had left the track playing, which really screwed things up.

If I accidentally set a "cue" point on the deck, is there a way to reset it and get back to 1.1.1 without loading a new remix set (or switing the deck type)?

Also, is there a way to trigger the "play" and "cue" for the deck without using something like an X1?

Tech Mentor

I don't have anything mapped to cue points on my F1. I generally just load up one remix set with all of the samples I would use for the night and have it play the whole night through.
    The Play button was never mapped, and was kind of annoying because I do have my setup to not load into a deck that is playing (if I were to switch remix sets). I do have it mapped now that I added an X1. Since my controller is only two channels, I mapped the bass treble, mids, and filter for deck C and D to the X1.

Have to play around with it to see if I can replicate what you are talking about.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

I don't have anything mapped to cue points on my F1. I generally just load up one remix set with all of the samples I would use for the night and have it play the whole night through.
    The Play button was never mapped, and was kind of annoying because I do have my setup to not load into a deck that is playing (if I were to switch remix sets). I do have it mapped now that I added an X1. Since my controller is only two channels, I mapped the bass treble, mids, and filter for deck C and D to the X1.

Have to play around with it to see if I can replicate what you are talking about.
    Try this out:

1. Hit play on the remix deck.
    2. Trigger some loops, let it play for a while.
    3. Make sure your QUANT value is set to "4 beats".
    4. Hit play on the remix deck again.
    5. Now hit the "CUE" button on the remix deck.

You should now see that the deck is stopped at wherever you hit the "CUE" button. The timeline value up on the right will read some value of where you stopped the deck (i.e., 5.2.3).

Now, if you load a regular track onto another deck, and let it play, when you trigger samples in the remix deck they can be out of phrase from where you wanted the beats to trigger.

You can set the QUANT value to 1 to get around this, and as long as you count to the 1 beat when triggering subsequent samples in the remix deck, you are fine.

If you reset the deck by loading a new remix set, the timeline goes back to 1.1.1. I was just wondering if there was a way to do this quickly.

Tech Mentor

I see what you mean. But, think I never encountered it because I never hit cue (I used to on a CDJ, but never on a track deck or remix deck in Traktor because I set my hot cues for everything I need.) Also I don't generally use the beat counter. It's very helpful, but I guess I never paid much attention if it was at 1.1.1... I tend to visualize the wave more. Sometimes just trigger the cel again when they are on the 1.

Solution is to keep the Sync on the remix deck at all times. Which, I think is the way it was designed. If sync is enabled, it will be in matched... but, the loops will be where you cued them (possibly out of phase).
    In the end, don't see why you would want to hit cue on a remix deck. Maybe make your loops shorter or put them on separate cels if you want to trigger from specific spots.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

I see what you mean. But, think I never encountered it because I never hit cue (I used to on a CDJ, but never on a track deck or remix deck in Traktor because I set my hot cues for everything I need.) Also I don't generally use the beat counter. It's very helpful, but I guess I never paid much attention if it was at 1.1.1... I tend to visualize the wave more. Sometimes just trigger the cel again when they are on the 1.

Solution is to keep the Sync on the remix deck at all times. Which, I think is the way it was designed. If sync is enabled, it will be in matched... but, the loops will be where you cued them (possibly out of phase).
    In the end, don't see why you would want to hit cue on a remix deck. Maybe make your loops shorter or put them on separate cels if you want to trigger from specific spots.
    You wouldn't really, except maybe by accident. I was just trying to figure out how to get back to 1.1.1.

If you leave play on the whole set, don't you find that your phrases get messed up?

I don't beat grid all my tracks, so it's possible a "1" marker could be off, screwing up the phrasing big time. It's best if before I throw in a remix loop, I make sure the deck is on the 1.1.1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast