Reorganizing mp3 files and folders on disk
    Tech Wizard

Default Reorganizing mp3 files and folders on disk

How can I move all of my mp3 files into different folders on my hard drive and have traktor easily find them again while retaining the stripe, grid and cue points.

My music collection ahs become a little out of hand and I want to attack the problem from the source (being the actual files and folders on my drive) Please Help!
    Traktor Scratch Pro v1.2.4 Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4gb ram - Audio 8, Torq Xponent, DJM-800

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by GorgeousGeorge View Post
    How can I move all of my mp3 files into different folders on my hard drive and have traktor easily find them again while retaining the stripe, grid and cue points.

My music collection ahs become a little out of hand and I want to attack the problem from the source (being the actual files and folders on my drive) Please Help!
    If I remember correctly (cos this was a while ago) when I did something similar, I used a 'relocation' option (or something like that) which was made available after running a consistency check on the collection.

Alternatively, the collection.nml file is a text file which you can edit manually, if you are confident in doing so.

won't writing the tags retain the info?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Just write the tags and then after you move them all run a consistency check and relocate them.

And for all the ones that don't relocate from there do it manually.

MAKE SURE you write to tag, though. Can't stress that enough. The files will retain the tags after they have been moved and renamed.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Doesnt traktor write tags automatically now?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, it does, in fact. Good point. All you have to do is eject the song from the deck and the tags write automatically
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

What version did it start auto writing tags in?
    Traktor Scratch Pro v1.2.4 Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4gb ram - Audio 8, Torq Xponent, DJM-800

Tech Mentor

ive done the same thing with my collection over the last 2 weeks. i worked up a new naming scheme and tagging method... basically, i used traktor to write all the tags, then i copied everything to a seperate folder where i used mp3tag to do a batch rename to artist_title_remix. i filled in all of the genre and key data (traktor for some reason didnt included the genre or the initial key) and then organized the collection by purchased music and promo/in progress material.
    then i backed up the traktor folder, and renamed the folders i had everything in before. performed a consistency check, relocated to the new files (some had that right naming scheme before the reoganization). from there started the long process of right clicking each missing track and relocating it by hand, which isnt hard because of the new naming scheme. just sort by artist name and its just a matter of lining up the names.
    it is a long process. but it makes life SO much easier, especially since i am starting to write everything to CDs so i can play without traktor.