Hearing protection what do you use?

Default Hearing protection what do you use?

As I get closer and closer to giging Im curious what do you guys use for hearing protection. I've been thinking about some custom molded earplugs or some generic off the shelf plugs, what do you use.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Guru

I use the custom molded ear plugs. I had an audiologist do the molds - it was the same price as getting the home kit. AND, my medical coverage paid for the hearing screening. I consider these an "essential" item for anytime spent in a club or at a concert.

I use the 15dB plugs for DJing, and general listening. I tried the 25dB plugs, but that was too much sound removed for me. I have the "solid" plugs for airplane time, and other loud situations.

EDIT:

I have used these off the shelf versions. The sound reduction is good, and more or less even. BUT these are uncomfortable for me to wear for more than an hour or so at a time. They also interfere with headphones, so they are a non-starter for DJing.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea.../dp/B0044DEESS
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Thanks the etys are the ones I'll pick up to try since they aren't expensive.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

I use hearos musicians' plugs most of the time. I usually have some backup foam plugs that I also use for shooting in case it's really too loud. And I just got some V-Moda Faders that I haven't had a chance to try out yet, but they're really comfortable.

I really should just get some custom molds done.

Gear > Hardware Forum
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

custom plugs from an audiologist!

I've got tinnitus in the ear I used to queue with (queue with the other now)

I have fairly loud tinnitus in my right ear only and it is nerve wracking to say the least. I can hear above and below the frequency of the ring but cannot here a small range or sound in that ear.

That is one thing worth noting. It's more important to do it all the time than do do it the "best" way.

I've enjoyed concerts and club nights with cheap foam plugs that sounded like I was under water....but I could still feel the bass, hear enough to enjoy it, and could hear things the next day. I've wound up places I didn't expect to have loud music only to buy earplugs from bouncers or bartenders.

I don't care how good the music is, one night of music is not worth damanging my hearing.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I've enjoyed concerts and club nights with cheap foam plugs that sounded like I was under water....but I could still feel the bass, hear enough to enjoy it, and could hear things the next day. I've wound up places I didn't expect to have loud music only to buy earplugs from bouncers or bartenders.
    +1

My musician plugs live in the "gig bag"...but I keep "protection" in my wallet as well (well, technically in a pill case on my keyring). I have tinnitus, and a couple hours of loud music (or noise) is enough to ruin the rest of my week. So, I keep a backup pair or foam ear plugs on my person. I find I need to use the backup pair once a month or so (once you have them with you, the bar to put them in goes down over time).
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Etymotic ER20s.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior