What are some good monitors for production - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have the KRK Rokit 5's GP3's. I am no audiophile but I am a little disappointed with them, okay they are cheap which is good but the low end is not great. If I produce a track and the low end is sounding okay on the KRK's, I bounce it get in my car (six speakers and a sub - the acid test!!!) the low end sounds terrible... So something is not right in Denmark for sure..

Focal Alpha's are worth considering in the step up from the lower priced JBL/KRK/Yamaha's.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

I am hating my Rokit 5's more and more every day. I think I got a nice full bass line, and then I check with headphones and the bass is so weak. But I'm getting new monitors soon. I was thinking the HS5's would be nice but some of you say the Mackies are good. I think I'm going to look into those.
    One feeds the pocket, the other feeds the soul "DJ Mpire"

Quote Originally Posted by markyyoung View Post
    I am hating my Rokit 5's more and more every day. I think I got a nice full bass line, and then I check with headphones and the bass is so weak. But I'm getting new monitors soon. I was thinking the HS5's would be nice but some of you say the Mackies are good. I think I'm going to look into those.
    Bass is so dependent on your room and any treatment you have in your room. If you don't have sufficient bass trapping, different monitors are only going to have you spending more money chasing something you'll never be able to nail down.

Play that bassline and walk around your room - do you notice the bass or certain frequencies are more prominent in some parts of the room and disappear in others? If so, I'd recommend getting some treatment first - particularly traps for the corners. GIK has awesome products and are good people. Not cheap, but if you want to get to the point where your stuff, particularly bass translates, look into them for treatment. And download Room EQ Wizard to check your room.

After you've got those things done, then you can look to upgrade from your Rokit's IMO. Treatment and figuring out your room is a very "boring upgrade," but it makes your life so much damn easier.
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Is Room EQ Wizard free? I looked up another one called ARC, it looks good and decent priced for what you get. Any thoughts on that one? The room I'm moving into is going to be a bit bigger then my current room. So I can place the monitors in a more proper position, off the wall. I read that the proper dimensions could be 1ft. off the wall and 3 to 5ft. apart from each other?

The only thing with the Yamaha's is that they're rear ported so you have to be careful where you put them. Other than that they sound amazing, though I'd get the bigger 8's for more punch. I'd also look at the Adam A7's, and I've heard some really good things about the Tannoy 802's also.
    However, I echo the recommendation for room treatment and proper monitor placement. If you're serious about production it should be your priority, if you still hate your Rokit's after that then fair enough
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Tech Wizard

I also have a pair of A7's and would recommend them too (or the updated A7x) - or the Dynaudio entry level stuff.

Now I do have a pair of KRKs that I use at work for music and VOIP calls - they work well for that, but other than DJing, would never use them as a primary production monitor.

There are so many choices in a lower price range that is can be overwhelming, so going to a retailer with many to audition at the same time with music you are familiar with is essential. As an example, the GC near me has 9 or 10 pairs of different monitors setup in a seperate room.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    My tuppence on the subject is to recommend the Adam A7's, I have a pair myself and they sound excellent. A solid cheaper option is a pair of Yamaha HS7's.

Is Room EQ Wizard free? I looked up another one called ARC, it looks good and decent priced for what you get. Any thoughts on that one? The room I'm moving into is going to be a bit bigger then my current room. So I can place the monitors in a more proper position, off the wall. I read that the proper dimensions could be 1ft. off the wall and 3 to 5ft. apart from each other?
    Yeah, Room EQ Wizard is free. You have to register at their site or something.

ARC is something altogether different from my understanding. ARC allows you to EQ based on your room and any standing waves that may exist. The things I've read about it from people that have a solid grasp of acoustics is that it's not worthwhile and really doesn't help. YMMV.

Room EQ Wizard allows you to see areas that your room needs better acoustic treatment, but does nothing to fix those areas. It's then on you to get the proper treatment and speaker setup to minimize the waves, etc.

Cool, thanks dude. Much Appreciated! I downloaded Room EQ wizard and probably gonna pick somw damping foam and bass traps.

KRK RP8s here. Very happy with them. Some good open back headphones are well worth an investment too. Beyerdynamic DT 990 PROs have been great for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast