What are some good monitors for production - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

KRK is not only Rockit Series, there also are VXT which is not mentioned in the topic

big difference bewteen the rockit and vxt series, love my vxt6 but there a bit heavy on the bass

Tech Wizard

as said many times, KRK Rotkits are great!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by A Man From Siberia View Post
    KRK is not only Rockit Series, there also are VXT which is not mentioned in the topic
    I think the KRKs are by the far the most widely used I see. Even bigger name buys tend to just have the bigger versiosn of the KRK RP5s

So, I'm going to bump this old thread, and eat my hat...

In the last 2 years (since my last post), we moved and the acoustic treatments are in. I've got a little bit left that I want to do (still a bit of metalic-y HF reverb I don't like from impulses, but I think I've got the stuff to make a cloud that will take care of it).

Life also got in the way. Among other things, we had to deal with injuries (protip: don't break your back), lots of vet bills, raising a litter of puppies (found the mom outside a landfill), changing jobs, losing a job, and a bunch of other things. I'm finally back to shopping for speakers, and....

Even with as much as I said it, I understated how much the room makes a difference. And I'm pretty sure that different expectations, tastes, overall setups, and especially acoustic environments are responsible for basically all of the animosity and heated debates people have about sound systems.

I wound up with a set of B&W bookshelf speakers (685s2 maybe) in my living room. They sound fine for movies and TV and flat-out sound better than sound bars or tv speakers in other people's houses. That room is kind of a nightmare, though, so I probably overpaid. Still, they're likely to outlast me, and I don't plan on ever upgrading.

In the dork cave (DJ area, listening room, home office, etc.), I've got that same set of RP5s (gen 1s, no less) on iso-acoustics stands on top of sand-filled PVC/Wood speaker stands (built them at some point). And....well....I have complaints. But those complaints are a lot smaller than when I called them "crap speakers" in 2015. Yes, the voicing is still a little mid-scooped, but it's smaller than the "defects" caused by someone setting up a hi-fi and EQing to taste. The detail is there. They're neither harsh nor fatiguing. In short, they sound fine. My biggest complaint (other than what I now know is the room) is that sub-bass just isn't there.

Strangely enough, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s that I bought on a whim at some point....they also sound pretty decent. They are not as detailed, and I can obviously hear the difference between the 2 sets of speakers. But, they, too, sound pretty darn good for the money.

So...here's what I'm getting at...

If you're shopping for speakers for home....you really need to listen to them at home. Play pink noise. Generate a waterfall plot if you have the capability. And, most importantly, listen to music that you at least think you know well. And when you think you've found something good enough, you have. There's always something that could be better.

I'm definitely still looking at upgrading, but it's mostly so I can hear a bit lower. There's a good chance I'm going to try the Rokit 10-3s first because, well...the KRK voicing sounds alright in this room and after almost 13 years of use (when initially bought as floor models), my RP5s still work. If I can get 90% of the next step up for half the cost...I'm probably gonna' do it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234