How to switch set when the other dj uses Pioneer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to switch set when the other dj uses Pioneer?

Hello everyone,
    Before i start, i hope i placed this in the right category.

Anyway,

This question has been bugging me for months and i really need an answer to this, so here it goes:

I got my first gig in 2 months and during that gig, the dj before and after me uses CDJ's on a Pioneer while i use a Traktor Kontrol S4. Now i have no idea how to switch set without stopping the music and i'm not entirely sure if this is even possible.

I'd be really grateful if someone could give me a solution to this.

Thank you.

Plug your outs on the s4 into an open channel on the mixer

Get first track ready

Blend into his track on your s4

Echo/spiral/reverb(probably echo) out of his track and start yours
    Last edited by padi_04; 01-06-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Serious question here.. How long have you been DJn?

Tech Guru

The Pioneer should have an open input some where on the back. Making those kind of connections "live" always makes me a bit nervous, which generally translates into going slow and being REALLY deliberate whenever I actually do something to the mixer. If possible, make that connection BEFORE the music starts and just plug the output of the S4 in when you get there.

In the WORST case scenario, have SOMEONE ELSE grab the mic and thank the last DJ and introduce you as the next DJ. That should buy you a 10-15 second gap in the music to do (almost) whatever you want to the mixer.

Other than that, once connected, just mix into their last song. When you are ready to stop, play a LONG(er) song that is easy to mix into for the next DJ, and then step back and let them get setup.

If you need more specific ideas....watch this:

Last edited by soundinmotiondj; 01-05-2015 at 09:26 AM.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

WHat they said. Just plug into the mixer. If no open channel, than the house sound should have an open channel to plug into.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

If you're used to an S4 and sync, your biggest issue isn't going to be plugging into the house mixer, but placing your S4 and laptop somewhere where there's space and transitioning from the previous DJ's music to yours. So practice either beatmatching, get a handle on effects for transitions and how to use effects to transition where your song isn't potentially properly sync'd.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    "beatmatching"
    Is a simple skill that every DJ should know..........................
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

get down before the gig starts and do a full signal test, if possible just leave your s4 and laptop set up and ready
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

like everyone says find an open channel on the mixer. If the mixer is a 2 channel just unplug the cdj that is not playing. Plug is rca of s4 into mixer, have track ready to go, look at his cdj see what bpm he is at, set bpm to what he has, beat match track, and mix in. When mixing in remember you are plugged into one of the channels of the mixer, so I would have the s4 volume already all the way up and mix in on the mixer itself because you can monitor in ear if needed on the mixer. Once ready bring up track on mixer and mix in. Don't do one of those where you mix in and realize the volume is turned down on one of those channels.

Im very happy with the solutions you all gave me because i cant find anything on google and i haven't worked with a mixer or Pioneer since i never got the chance yet. I'm really grateful!

For those who think i should've known this and this is a newb question, back the hell off since i'm sure there was a time that you didn't know this..
    Last edited by RephleX; 01-06-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast