Problem determining differences between Electro House and Prog. House - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

If you want to hear real progressive house, it's not very hard to go find some old Global Underground or Renaissance mixes.

Sasha, Dave Seaman, Nick Warren, etc.

IMHO, there should be certain required listening for electronic music listeners.

If you like jazz, then you have to know "Kind of Blue."

If you like electronic music, then you should know "Xpander."

That is just my opinion, and not directed at anyone in this thread.
    Last edited by Glitchwerks; 01-05-2015 at 11:33 AM.

I agree 100% I was referring to finding new releases in the prog scene I normally browse track lists from said artist above and pick and choose..... One think I miss is the prog style of breaks that were around same time that prog house was in its hayday... I have a radio show coming up and I've been on the hunt for that style of breaks to go with some prog I've scrounged up

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    Oh and if your ears can take it browsing the prog house section of beatport can sometimes result in real prog house
    You'd have a track produced by the time one find one amongst all the garbage

Miss all the Proggy Hybrid Style breaks alright, damn it was hard hitting !

.. ah first world problems eh

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    You'd have a track produced by the time one find one amongst all the garbage
    At least they're on the Beatport top 100, I think they deserve some respect including the producers.

Tech Wizard

Can anyone somehow please (if you don't bother) mention the average BPMs for each genre?

Bpm aren't really a determine factor true prog house went from 125-134 for the mor tracier stuff even now you see big room electro garbage from 127-135 it's the synth sound and structure that determines it

Tech Mentor

You are likely to find Real Progressive House in the Deep House and Techno genres in Beatport.
    For top 40 electro, main room, search in the Progressive House genre.

Long live progressive.

Progressive House.

EDIT: If there's more than just an intro in the first five minutes, it's probably not really Progressive House. :P
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Mentor

IMO progressive is the label they slap onto a genre when it gets watered down, uninteresting, formulaic and pretentious. When a genre gets that term slapped on it, I no longer listen to it.

Progressive trance= slowed down + less "trancy" ( house music with delays and wooshes)

Progressive psytrance = slowed down & less psychedelic.

Progressive techno = slowed down & less gritty/hard/techy (minimal techno with lots of reverb)

Progressive house = slowed down & less housy/funky

Progressive breaks = slowed down and less breaky (almost like house except an extra wand snares instead of claps)

See a pattern forming. It's great as filler tracks.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

I don't know if the above statement would be accurate might be close but think little off.... The statement about watered down isn't really the case as real prog house never really got saturated the saturation turned into prog trance ie 130-134 trance that carried the proggy style bass lines but the synth sounds from trance of the time..... Prog trance examples would be Gabriel and Dresden, Markus Schulz, Tiesto, all produced it in early 2000s before moving to the big room sound Ferry Corsten fell into the prog trance genre but he went big room electro sound before the other guys did... Deep Dish was a real border between prog house and prog trance they took it more house before going where they are now...

BEWARE RANT STARTING SO MAYBE TL;dr
    I could likely write a bloody novel on the downward spiral electronic took when it went mainstream in early 2000...... Motorcycle - as the rush comes is a great example it really broke out mainstream radio play and that's when they started going into a more generic public pleasing sound and oddly enough some of the newer Gabriel and Dresden stuff has really gone back to the roots of their sounds.... A great example of full circle movement between would be Paul Oakenfold..... He can jam out a really trance psy influenced set much like John '00' Fleming would do and then next set have mostly big room tracks that kinda teeter between real trance and big room(what is now called progressive trance) a real big dissappojntment was the complete spiral cosmic gate took from their true trance with a bit of hard to the generic big room shit really....... I would love to interview of some these guys and get their perspective on why they moved away into a sound that isn't true in any sense and lacks really in depth production......

The intricate synth structure and harmonic melodic progression in the tracks is gone it's all let see if we can make a trancey track sound like dub step white noise and percussion fills that sound like a 90s j-Pop percussion with heavy effects.... A good indication of how not musically advanced things are look at your remix comps... They used to include midi data to really re mold a sound now you get a ableton pack with samples so you have a few options.... Recon the notes for what notes there are... Most is just sounds proccessed and delayed and that is used to create the notes.... Like really What The Fuck is every producer unable to write music anymore

END RANT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast