Pioneer DJM-1000 Rotary vs. Rane Empath Rotary vs. Rane 2016 Mixer/Expander Combo

Default Pioneer DJM-1000 Rotary vs. Rane Empath Rotary vs. Rane 2016 Mixer/Expander Combo

Looking to replace my Rane TTM-56S with one of the following: Pioneer DJM-1000 Rotary vs. Rane Empath Rotary vs. Rane 2016 Mixer/Expander Combo

They all seem to be apps. $700-$1200

Thoughts on these mixers?
    Any other rotary mixers into which I should look?
    Fair prices?

Thanks.

Tech Convert

I used a DJM800 with the rotary kit for many years. I loved the mixer (still do) and I'd imagine the feel to be similar to the 1000 you reference. I found it pretty easy to get smooth transitions, and I actually took out the crossfader as I found it got in the way. Build quality was good as well.

I finally upgraded to a Rane 2016s with expander and it's the best decision I've ever made. The pots are so smooth, my transitions float in and out like butter, and the feel/quality of the mixer is top notch. The split cue add to the a/s models is great in that you can mix entirely in your headphones and not bother anyone (late night). The only downside is it's not a tabletop mixer so you'd need a custom enclosure or case to drop it in. I just built one and it works great. I believe the Empath uses the same pots as the 2016a/s so the mixing experience will probably be similar, and you'd have a mixer you can easily place on a flat surface. I just don't think it looks anywhere near as good. The 2016 has more of the DJ Booth look/feel I was missing and fit the bill perfectly for me. I love it.

Hope that helps.

djm101.com

I'd get one of the Ranes.

I have a 2016s as well and absolutely love it. It's a great mixer. It's not perfect, but nothing is.

If you want EQs and only need 3 full channels, I'd get the Empath Rotary. I specifically didn't want EQs and wanted an installation mixer, so I bought the 2016s. If I found a good one for a good price, I'd buy an Empath Rotary in a heartbeat to have an easier option for house parties.