Sound Card Woes (DDJ-SX2 upgrade)

Default Sound Card Woes (DDJ-SX2 upgrade)

Hi all, so I recently upgraded from the S4 to the DDJ-SX2 which I'm loving to pieces, however I'm having an issue related to the audio card.

With the S4, I was able to run my computer audio through its soundcard. Everything was routed through the S4- browser audio, videogame audio, you name it. Better yet, for whatever reason I was able to run it simultaneously with Traktor and there were no conflicts with ASIO/WDM audio takeovers except for the odd drop out.

Now With the DDJ-SX2, I can't seem to get computer audio to output through the device. It works just fine in Traktor and Serato DJ, and even plays Windows system sounds (like error bleeps and whatnot). However, neither my browser nor videogames seem to be able to detect or use the SX2 sound card, and it appears only one device can use the audio at a time.

I'm running Windows 8.1. Anyone have experience with this or know a possible solution?
    Poizen Jam Music - SoundCloud, Facebook, Myspace, Newgrounds!

Tech Guru

Sometimes only certain applications are routed to a soundcard. You need to make sure they're all going to the same soundcard.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Right click the little speaker icon in the bottom right of your taskbar, select PLayBack Devices, select your SX from the list, then click the Set Default button.

On a sidenote bruv. Its not good to be keeping something on 24/7 like that.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I have tried that- in fact I've tried disabling every other audio device but the DDJ-SX2- the problem is the same. Oddly enough, when I right-click and hit 'test' it works just fine. Like I said, all system audio works just dandy. But programs (games, iTunes, etc.) and browsers won't work with it for some reason.

What's the danger with keeping a controller turned on?

Edit: I have a hack-job, if bulky, solution in the meantime til I sell my S4. I've hooked up the S4 again, and routed the main outs to Channel D on the DDJ-SX2 and set the D channel mode to Thru/CD

So now my S4 is basically running as a dedicated computer soundcard, although that's really bulky and unwieldy.
    Last edited by Poizen Jam; 01-06-2015 at 06:20 PM.

You are running all of those LED's (Although it be in demo mode after sitting idle) constantly. Eventually they will burn out. You should get a dedicated soundcard for your computer bruv.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I do have an onboard sound card on my MOBO that I haven't used in ages. I figure if the DDJ can only be used in ASIO mode, I'll either get run my onboard soundcard through Channel D on my DDJ or get a set of piggy back cables and run them directly into my speakers. I just lack the right connection until my next run to the music store; the onboard soundcard has 1.5mm outs- speakers and DDJ only have RCA free at the moment.

As for running constantly- I turn the controller off when not in use, but also I thought LED's had a pretty long life expectancy even with constant use.

You'd be surprised at how fast they can burn out.

If you are just using your PC sound for gaming and whatnot, pick up a cheap behring uno.

If you are using it for production, there are plenty of affordable audio interface solutions out there.

Did you ever get this figured out? I just got my SX2 yesterday and I'm having the EXACT same problem. My Numark Mixtrack Pro worked just fine to run all audio but no luck with the Pioneer.