Coursera Intro to Ableton, Free class (Feb 2-27)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Coursera Intro to Ableton, Free class (Feb 2-27)

For anyone who is interested in a guided tour of Ableton 9, Coursera has a FREE class that covers the BASICS of DAWs in general and Ableton 9 in particular.

https://www.coursera.org/course/abletonlive
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Schalenberg

I need this in my life. Thanks.

Heck yeah! Thanks, See you in class!

i guess it doesnt hurt to sign up.
    DJ: Pioneer DDJ-SX // Sennheiser HD 8 DJ
    Production: Macbook 15" // Ableton // M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI Keyboard // KRK Rokit 5 x2
    Soundcloud ii My Setup

I just took this class, if you have been using Ableton for a while or just started, you may learn a few things. Also you can get feedback from your peers on your assignments, which are making tracks with midi, warping audio etc.

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by CBEtsinger View Post
    I just took this class, if you have been using Ableton for a while or just started, you may learn a few things. Also you can get feedback from your peers on your assignments, which are making tracks with midi, warping audio etc.
    I signed up but never followed the course. Did you get a lot out of it?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    I signed up but never followed the course. Did you get a lot out of it?
    I followed all the videos but did not have time for the assignments.

The class had a reasonable overview of the Ableton interface, and that helped to fill in some gaps for me. The MIDI mapping section was clearly explained. Using the "Ableton Live 9 Power" book as a reference, everything in the class was clearly explained in the book...so if you have actually read and worked through the book, you have covered all the topics. If nothing else, the class prompted me to look up and read more about everything that was highlighted.

I did not have time to create and submit anything, but I did listen to a lot of the submissions and read the feedback provided. The assignments were interesting challenges, and the feedback was (surprisingly) constructive. The most popular submissions are surprisingly good.

For (almost) all the submissions, the Ableton project files are available for download...so you can see how people are organizing their work, what instruments and effects they are using, and really understand HOW they built their sounds. I learned as much from the project files as everything else combined.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

it was worth the time for the videos. as stated above, if youre a seasoned user of Ableton, you may want to skip this course, and look for others. The course is free, and the feedback you get from others (some who are better with Ableton than you) can give you pointers and help for the common need (assignments). The people who were in the class were helpful and the forums you have access to helps with meeting people in your area or your assignments.

its free. take it. if you dont like it. you wasted some time.

if you are like me... <6 months with ANY DAW. it will be a very good class to take. up till this class i was just making drum beat after drum beat, not really knowing how to put it all together. how to crop/cut/warp etc. knowing where all these items were on my screens has made my workflow much quicker and i am much happier using my software/hardware. Ive already started to take my clips and started to use them in tandem with Traktor.

for the price of the course, it was worth it to me.

it was a great class i enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who's new to ableton like i am, erin barra did a great job, explains everything perfectly and is very helpful.

Tech Wizard

This looks cool. I'm on the watchlist for future sections opening up. I'll post if they do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast