Midifighter Twister doesn't respond to MIDI sync from Ableton Live
    Tech Wizard

Unhappy Midifighter Twister doesn't respond to MIDI sync from Ableton Live

So I've spent a lot of time getting the Twisters to work nicely. The only thing that doesn't work is sync. I've been referencing the setup guide for the Twister here which is linked from the official guide here.

At the bottom of the PDF guide it lists the values for rates that you can set lights to pulse/flash. The values are all referencing tempo values (eg, 1/4 beat, 1 beat, 4 beats), indicating that if you set a light to pulse on the 1/4 beat then it should sync with whatever host you're using, provided that host is sending out sync.

I have setup sync and mappings correctly but the Twisters are just pulsing at their own rates. In fact, I happen to have 2 of them and they don't even align...they slowly go out of phase with one-another. This really sux balls, because it seems this is a feature that "should just work"...but it clearly doesn't. I have Ableton Push connected to the same host with the same sync settings and it syncs fine, pulsing/flashing it's buttons just fine. Something is clearly wrong.

Here is a link to a video I took showing both Twisters connected to the same host with the same config and same rate value but not even staying in phase with one another...they're not only ignoring the sync from Ableton but they're just doing their own thing.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/IMG_1255.MOV

My setup;
    1. Mac OSX 10.10.1...all latest updates applied (was happening on Mavericks too though so it aint a Yosemite thing)
    2. Ableton Live Suite 9.1.7 (legal and legit)
    3. Midifighter Twister (x2) both running firmware "13 Aug 2014" (both showing as up to date via MidiFighter Utility)
    4. MidiFighter Utility version 2.6.3
    5. Ableton Push with latest firmware

Tried so far;
    1. Disabling and re-enabling Sync for both out and in ports for both Twisters in Ableton.
    2. Reflashing the current (latest) firmware
    3. Re-downloading Midifighter Utility and re-installing
    4. Factory resetting and re-sending my configs to both Twisters via the Midifighter Utility
    5. Changing different rate values to see if it is a particular rate that doesn't sync (none of them do)
    6. Tweaking all the available options in Ableton for sync in/out
    7. Reading around the forums and searching around the interwebs
    8. Turning it all off and on again
    9. Rebooting
    10. Praying
    11. Rage

It would be a relief to hear that this is a known bug and a fix is in the future. Can anyone please help?
    Last edited by noofny; 01-11-2015 at 06:42 AM.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

This is a known bug which will be fixed in the next firmware update. Currently the animations are only set for 120BPM.

Tech Wizard

That's great news then Stewe, appreciate the response and that you guys are onto it !

Strange though, if the units are locked at 120 BPM, how would that explain 2 units getting out of phase with eachother as demonstrated in my video link?

I appreciate you guys are a small operation, so I'm, not nagging but just curious - what kind of timeframe is expected for the next firmware release (days/weeks/months) ?

Tech Wizard

Hey guys,

I've been reading around on this forum for responses to other known bugs such as this one. What makes me nervous is the latest firmware is from 13-Aug-2014, with a bunch of small but annoying bugs, but the responses from DJTT goes as far as "we're working on it and should be fixed within a few months".

I really appreciate that you guys are a small team, really, and it's amazing what good stuff you guys do with limited resources.

To be fair however, with a commercial product, it would be appreciated on a deeper level to provide us with a more accurate expectation on how long to expect these things to be fixed and what actually is going to be fixed. Saying "within a few months" with a version that is 8 months old already doesn't exactly give us much faith that these bugs will get fixed any time in the next could of years even.

Could I ask if you guys could post a short sticky thread here with the details about when the firmware update is realistically expected, and which of the bugs you have fixed, are trying to fix, or will not fix? At least so we know where we stand and what we need to work around.

It would be truly appreciated.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by noofny View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been reading around on this forum for responses to other known bugs such as this one. What makes me nervous is the latest firmware is from 13-Aug-2014, with a bunch of small but annoying bugs, but the responses from DJTT goes as far as "we're working on it and should be fixed within a few months".

I really appreciate that you guys are a small team, really, and it's amazing what good stuff you guys do with limited resources.

To be fair however, with a commercial product, it would be appreciated on a deeper level to provide us with a more accurate expectation on how long to expect these things to be fixed and what actually is going to be fixed. Saying "within a few months" with a version that is 8 months old already doesn't exactly give us much faith that these bugs will get fixed any time in the next could of years even.

Could I ask if you guys could post a short sticky thread here with the details about when the firmware update is realistically expected, and which of the bugs you have fixed, are trying to fix, or will not fix? At least so we know where we stand and what we need to work around.

It would be truly appreciated.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

I couldn't agree more. Where is the love? The twister has a lot of potential still.

Tech Convert

Any news on a new firmware for the Twister?

Tech Wizard

Comon guys, seriously ,not even a response after so long and being so polite and fair?

This is just downright fucking rude.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noofny View Post
    Comon guys, seriously ,not even a response after so long and being so polite and fair?

This is just downright fucking rude.
    There wasn't much response in the forums since we were also waiting for news on the firmware update - sorry it takes so much time. As for right now, I'm glad to inform you that our team is working on the update as we speak and some progress has already been made.

We will keep you posted.
    Thank you for your patience everybody!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    There wasn't much response in the forums since we were also waiting for news on the firmware update - sorry it takes so much time. As for right now, I'm glad to inform you that our team is working on the update as we speak and some progress has already been made.

We will keep you posted.
    Thank you for your patience everybody!
    Hey Stewe and Dj Tech Tools staff.

So over a month ago you told us here that "...working on it...will keep you posted...". Because you told us to wait for a cure, which I did. This hasn't happened.

Crying that "we are a small team" whilst promising us "something is coming" only makes your paying customers sit in blind hope whilst something may never come. If you cannot meet the demands of your community, just be honest with us and say so. Please stop making bullshit promises that you cannot live up to and telling us you can fix it if you can't. We just need to know honestly if it will ever be fixed or now. We can deal with it if you cant, we just want to know if it's realistically possible. We are paying customers, but beyond that we are capable of being told that there is no fix coming and can circumvent inevitabilities.

There are some serious and well established defects with the current firmware (eg midi sync issues), nobody is expecting these are easy to fix. But please be honest with us and stop sticking the "a fix is coming" thumb up our asses. You could pay us a little more respect by saying something like "it's too hard for us to find a fix right now" or "our business needs to focus on other areas" or whatever other understandable reason is making it too hard to fix - we know that these things are sometimes hard to fix.

Please stop feeding us bullshit and lies, when we are the community that built you up and purchased your products.
    Last edited by noofny; 04-11-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Tech Wizard

FYI, this has been moved and responded to in a new thread;

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=91251