Can I use Maschine Mikro in my DJ set-up?

Default Can I use Maschine Mikro in my DJ set-up?

I've been using a Maschine MK2 from a friend a couple of times. I use it in my DJ set-up like Richie Hawtin and Chris Liebing(in combination with Traktor Pro). Adding claps, hi-hats etc. and using the step sequencer to re-edit tracks in my set. I was wondering if I can do the same with a Maschine Mikro. I'm considering buying one since it's almost half the price of a regular Maschine. Does anyone know of this or uses one in their own set-up?

Cheers!

Absolutely. For what you've mentioned, the Mikro will do just as well as the MK2. Other than the second screen and 8 encoders, they're virtually the same. Any other differences are only really evident in a studio workflow sense, imo.

Tech Guru

I used a Maschine Mk1 like that for a couple years.

I switched to a MF Twister with a remix deck. The step sequencer is only 4 beats long. The MF Twister is a lot easier to setup and actually use at a gig than Maschine. The remix deck has four channels, each with 12 different slots for one shots and 12 different patterns, there is a LOT of flexibility in actual performance usage. And it takes up way less space in the bag.

The Maschine library does make for GREAT filler for remix decks.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Convert

You could also control the remix decks with Maschine and switch to the Maschine session in order to do additional step-sequencing

Thanks guys! The MIDI Fighter Twister seems really nice too but I like that Maschine comes with a lot of samples and I can also use it to produce music! So I'll go with the Maschine Mikro

Mikro is compact and inexpensive. It's convenient for live performances and drum sequencing during DJ gigs... But it falls way short of the regular Maschine when it comes to production. If you also plan on using Maschine to produce, I'd get a standard size Maschine MK2. The extra money is well worth it in my opinion.
    I knew a girl, who tried to walk across the lake.
    Of course it was winter, when all this was... Ice...

Quote Originally Posted by AshtonArcher View Post
    Mikro is compact and inexpensive. It's convenient for live performances and drum sequencing during DJ gigs... But it falls way short of the regular Maschine when it comes to production. If you also plan on using Maschine to produce, I'd get a standard size Maschine MK2. The extra money is well worth it in my opinion.
    +1

The Mikro is better for DJ actually, because of the smaller footprint. I use it quite often. Technically it can do everything the full-size one can. Ableton is my main beast for producing, so I don't miss the lack of knobs so much and just use it for basics, but I'll likely get the studio Maschine at some point to allow for more detailed programming.

The thing I just love about the Maschine is the group setup. Having one group dedicated to a remix stem essentially allows me to swap back and forth between my own material, drum kits, riser/efx kits, bassline kits, whatever, all while still having the other groups still playing their thing. The lack of mixer controls is still possible to get around using patterns with different velocity/volume relationships, or fewer parts. Though I mostly use the mutes.