Travel with 12" mixer as a carry-on item
    Tech Guru

Default Travel with 12" mixer as a carry-on item

I do 5 or 6 gigs a year that require air travel. This has been consistent over the last 5 years and I expect that pace to continue. These are not "club gigs" so I need to provide everything I need in the booth, and I have ZERO control over a rider. Until this point, I have mixed internally and had a single stereo pair coming from the sound interface to the house system. I will typically plug into a large format mixer that is NOT workable for DJing.

I just added a Denon X1600 to my setup, this acts as both the mixer and sound interface. I have a rack setup where it will be mounted 90% of the time for local & driving events. For air travel events, I would prefer to carry this mixer with me, onto the aircraft.

Based on past experiences with checking gear on these gigs I STRONGLY prefer to carry-on all the critical parts. I have never lost anything, but even a few hour delay in getting my bags adds a LOT of unnecessary stress to my day.

The typical flight cases feel like overkill for hand carried luggage...and I am nervous about getting them into overhead bins, or under the seat. Are there any soft cases that provide reasonable protection for careful handling? Bonus points if it will fit into a 19" or 21" hard sided carry-on spinner bag.

How do you travel with a 12" format mixer?
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Any of the UDG soft cases will suffice. I used to take my D.4 everywhere with me along with an X1, two reloop contours, a launchpad, audio 10, laptop, and headphones. I honestly kept em all neatly packed in a record bag with home made seperators. I never had any issues.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6