Mister Mac's Custom DJ Console (Home/Studio)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Custom Home/Studio DJ Console

Last edited by [O/][iii][O/]; 09-12-2015 at 06:12 AM.

Sweet mother of god.......
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Gorgeous
    Kontrol X1MK2 <3

So gorgeous.

Cleaner then the board of health.

nicely done, Sir.

I love the setup so much but what is it with the headphone stick lol

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    ...what is it with the headphone stick lol
    Hello - Some DJs refer to it is a "lollipop", "monophone", or just a "stick", but I usually call it a "cue stick" because that's essentially what it's specifically used for, cueing. I've always preferred to use this type of device while DJing rather than traditional headphones for a number of different reasons/benefits. They are fairly common amongst some older house and disco DJs such as myself. I handcraft all my own cue sticks for personal use. If interested in learning more, you may wish to visit this thread: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=86117

Quote Originally Posted by [O/][iii][O/] View Post
    Hello - Some DJs refer to it is a "lollipop", "monophone", or just a "stick", but I usually call it a "cue stick" because that's essentially what it's specifically used for, cueing. I've always preferred to use this type of device while DJing rather than traditional headphones for a number of different reasons/benefits. They are fairly common amongst some older house and disco DJs such as myself. I handcraft all my own cue sticks for personal use. If interested in learning more, you may wish to visit this thread: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=86117
    Yeah I'm familiar with them I just personally don't like them lol. Pretty legit that you make them yourself though.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Yeah I'm familiar with them I just personally don't like them lol. Pretty legit that you make them yourself though.

Understandable. They're pretty rare out in the wild. I find most DJs don't really like (or understand) them either. Just a personal preference is all. Different strokes, different folks. Like a lot of other cue stick users, I prefer to do all my mixing by using a set of proper monitors, not in headphones, so for me a cue stick is ideal and have been using them for decades. Use it to simply cue up the track (knowing your tracks is inside and out is vital), set it down, and then do all the blending by ear via monitors without being tethered. IMO this technique provides a truer representation of what's really going on with the audio out on the main soundsystem/dancefloor/crowd. Having a proper set of monitors is critical though, so I do keep a traditional pair of headphones with me at all times as back up in my gear bag for gig situations where proper monitors are not available (it happens sometimes).
    Last edited by [O/][iii][O/]; 09-12-2015 at 06:16 AM.

I've never used a lolipop, but I kind of want to. I just haven't felt the inclination to buy a set of headphones just to make one (or i guess 2), since I'm not about to tear apart the headphones I have for it.

I always kinda figured a lolipop, earplugs, and a set of nice IEMs would have all bases covered....and just pick based on how good the monitors are.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast