Another in the market for a laptop thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another in the market for a laptop thread

So Im finllay coughing up some $$$ for a laptop thats in my price range and what I want as far as specs go. I want to run Traktor Pro on this and Ableton, Do you guys think this will suit my needs, Eventually I'll upgrade the harddrive to a 1TB capacity. Or anyother suggestions out there I may have missed.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...913&CatId=4935
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Wizard

I think that you should save some money and buy a mac... I personally don't like apples but I have to say that with both of my laptops (both have an i7, 8gb of ram, and 1tb) I'm having quite a lot of problems with drivers, compatibility problems, cpu overloads (using DAWs and traktor) etc...
    If you really don't like macs and go for that laptop you should upgrade the HDD with an SSD and put Windows 7 in it (i downgraded one of mines to w7 and now it's doing its job)

Quote Originally Posted by InsertSmartName View Post
    I think that you should save some money and buy a mac... I personally don't like apples but I have to say that with both of my laptops (both have an i7, 8gb of ram, and 1tb) I'm having quite a lot of problems with drivers, compatibility problems, cpu overloads (using DAWs and traktor) etc...
    If you really don't like macs and go for that laptop you should upgrade the HDD with an SSD and put Windows 7 in it (i downgraded one of mines to w7 and now it's doing its job)
    You must be reading my mind, I like the advice on downgrading the PC to Win 7 and upgrading the RAM and to a SSD. I may decide to save up for a Probook or something along the same lines thats the plan when I originally started down this slippery slope Im on. Im currently running Ableton and Traktor on my 8 core AMD/240SSD/16GB RAM desktop and have no problems of course.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Mentor

I don't have too much experience with prices in the US so I can't really speak much about that, but I can tell from my own experience that it might be very well worth it to consider buying a used laptop. I just recently bought a MacBookPro "15 late 2011 for €700, which has done a great job for music production.

Tech Guru

I've never had any problems with my Windows...

That said, I think it's worth buying the 800-1100 laptops. The 500 dollar ones just don't cut it. The performance is abysmal.

I'd also get an SSD in the laptop. Worth the investment.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Currently I'm running a specked out Mac, personally I love it, super fast and I find it super efficient but it was 5 times as much money...The specs on the ASUS look pretty good, but if your going to run both Ableton and Traktor your gonna need at least 8GB and even with that you'll have little head room to run anything else, also keep in mind if your going out playing at a party, running a lower end laptop is imo a really bad idea cuz you never know when the thing might just crash and then your having to bust out some tunes from your phone.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by InsertSmartName View Post

Practically any PC laptop can perform excellently with audio with some minor tweaking.

There is also no reason whatsoever to not use Windows 8.1, it performs better in several ways than 7.

When people talk about Win8 like this its clear they read a lot more about Windows than they actually have professional experience installing and managing it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Practically any PC laptop can perform excellently with audio with some minor tweaking.

There is also no reason whatsoever to not use Windows 8.1, it performs better in several ways than 7.

When people talk about Win8 like this its clear they read a lot more about Windows than they actually have professional experience installing and managing it.
    Trust me, windows 8 doesn't run good on pcs older than 1 year and a half like the ones I have. I was getting cpu overloads all the time on my asus with w8, now with w7 it runs absolutely better
    I guess that a laptop built to have windows 8 inside runs better than a one that is not...but anyway I would still buy a mac for my musical needings (If I had the money, which i don't)

You can talk yourself into a windows laptop all day... we have all done it...

Windows has brought me nothing but pain through the years.

If possible bite the bullet and go mac...they just work.

I know my mac is going to behave EXACTLY the same every time i press the power button. Windows machines don't do that...they act slightly different every day, I don't know what makes them do that. One day you turn it on and Traktor or ableton just decides to stop working, yet 2 days later it may just start working again for absolutely no reason.

I hate Apple, so my views are biased. but that being said Apple and Lenovo(thinkpad) are the only companies i know of that properly ground their boards. that means when you plug your laptop into a sound system you do not get that awful hum/buzzing sound.

I have been using lenovo for a while now, other then battery problems i have had with some of them they are pure beasts I got my replacement laptop as a refurb for just under 500. an i5 with 2 HDD's and a touchscreen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast