Best step sequencer set up for melodic sequencing of an external midi device

Default Best step sequencer set up for melodic sequencing of an external midi device

I want to generate continously modulated and rythmically interesting synth patterns (mostly monophonic) with a flexible melodic step sequencing system. The system should be able to generate midi ctrl data to control parameters of an external or a plug in synth.

What kind of all-in-one gear or software plus controller set-up can you guys recommend for this purpose?

what are your experience with your systems?
    which one is the best?

what about
    launpad solutions
    ableton push?
    Ipad solutions?
    apc 40
    Maschine
    pure hardware sequencers
    midifighter etc.

what can you recommend most?

cheers

apc monosequencer is not bad, only problem, that my system sometimes crashes (but maybe because of max in general)
    Last edited by Haase; 01-14-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: tryed apc monosequencer

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Haase View Post
    I want to generate continously modulated and rythmically interesting synth patterns (mostly monophonic) with a flexible melodic step sequencing system. The system should be able to generate midi ctrl data to control parameters of an external or a plug in synth.

What kind of all-in-one gear or software plus controller set-up can you guys recommend for this purpose?

what are your experience with your systems?
    which one is the best?

what about
    launpad solutions
    ableton push?
    Ipad solutions?
    apc 40
    Maschine
    pure hardware sequencers
    midifighter etc.

what can you recommend most?

cheers
    A monophonic solution would be the Arturia Beatstep, being able to sequence via midi and cv.

I bought one recently and use it to sequence a Korg Monotribe via CV, and to sequence plugins.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Push could do it, but you'd have to do a lot of setup prior.

Cirklon and Elektron Octatrak get lots of love in the production community for hardware polyphonic MIDI sequencers with lots of options. They're pricey though, and Cirklon requires being on a waitlist while they build your machine.

I don't know about the new Korg Electribes, but there's been some love for those regarding sequencing external hardware.

Lots of youtube vids out there of each of these. And with Namm around the corner, might want to wait and see what happens there...
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Default what are your experiences with the beat step?

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    A monophonic solution would be the Arturia Beatstep, being able to sequence via midi and cv.

I bought one recently and use it to sequence a Korg Monotribe via CV, and to sequence plugins.
    thx,
    what are your experiences with the beat step?
    would you buy it again?
    what do you like most?
    what do you hate about this gadget?

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Push could do it, but you'd have to do a lot of setup prior.

Cirklon and Elektron Octatrak get lots of love in the production community for hardware polyphonic MIDI sequencers with lots of options. They're pricey though, and Cirklon requires being on a waitlist while they build your machine.

I don't know about the new Korg Electribes, but there's been some love for those regarding sequencing external hardware.

Lots of youtube vids out there of each of these. And with Namm around the corner, might want to wait and see what happens there...
    thx,
    will have to check these solutions in the web.
    cirklon looks really nice. but 1000 ukp...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Haase View Post
    thx,
    what are your experiences with the beat step?
    would you buy it again?
    what do you like most?
    what do you hate about this gadget?
    Good so far, well built, cheap and does what I want it to.
    I bought it and kept it, which if i didn't like it I wouldn't keep it.
    The fact I can use it for midi control of plugins while sequencing via CV
    Its white, and doesn't really fit in with the rest of my gear.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

I use the beatstep with my eurorack. functions pretty well. I also do some sequencing with my microbrute into the eurorack.