Touch Screen Monitor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Touch Screen Monitor

Morning from the land down under and happy new year to all.
    I had what I hope is a great idea over the holiday season. It's probably an idea others have had before but just want some input.
    I am using a Windows 7 laptop that has recently been "specced up" so should handle the task for a few years to come. I was wondering if anyone else has looked into (or actually uses) a touch screen monitor as part of their set up?
    My idea was that I could basically hide the laptop and use a touch screen monitor as I only ever touch my laptop to search for tracks (requests or last minute "great" ideas etc).
    My gear is in a great road case and I can easily add a "latptop tray" that could hold the monitor flat so I could see it but it would not get in the way. I don't want to get into the whole "Serato Face" debate but it may also make it easier to keep eye contact with the crowd so I can read whether my set is hitting the right buttons.
    Any suggestions on brand and whether this is worth considering greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for reading and here's to a great 2015 for us all!
    DjCoops

Tech Guru

Seems a little silly to buy a touch screen monitor jsut for this. You should just throw your laptop off to the side if you're that worried.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Seems a little silly to buy a touch screen monitor jsut for this. You should just throw your laptop off to the side if you're that worried.
    Fair point.. would still be interested to know if it could work. I'm not super worried about it.. just thought it might be an idea worth considering but thanks for the comment.
    Coops

Tech Mentor

I have a friend in Tuscon AZ who totally rocks reakor on a touch screen. it's like he's playing the screen.

I have one and don't use it much, it's hard to get accurate response on the screen.

He's old now and caught up in a software gig, but I'll try to find some video. I've never seen anyone rock a laptop like this guy can.

Tech Guru

It could work, it's just gonna be pricey.

You just have to buy a touch screen monitor and that's it. Nothing convoluted about it.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Anything multitouch that preferably utilizes an LED array as opposed to heat reactivity. Il be honest with you though. I tried it and hated it. Ended up just making a custom keyboard mapping on the laptop for all the mundane stuff.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

on a side note its not too complicated to map out browse and deck load functions in traktor, then youll find yourself rarely touching the laptop.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Wizard

I had a touch screen laptop and ran traktor on it whilst at an event.

Security was poor so lots of people were getting into the Dj booth and were playing with my laptop screen. (rather disrespectfully)

Also found it wasn't great in terms of browsing other than scrolling quickly. Often selected the song next to it or something similar. switched to just using my laptop as a screen, rather than using it to browse.

I have a touch 22" touch screen view sonic one its multi touch and I've yet to see any clear advantage to using it for anything besides expanding and navigating pdf files and things of that such... It lacks precision I've tried using it for photoshop but results weren't too good all in all its a nice 350$ screen but I don't think the touch is capable enough for detailed work

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the info everyone... definitely sounds like my "great" idea might not be so great. Really appreciate the input and feedback!
    Coops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast