The best way to manage your music on your computer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The best way to manage your music on your computer?

Hi friends
    I wanted to get a few tips on how to organize music by folder I play electronic music and have a bit of a hard time remembering all artists
    I'd love to get help
    Thanks (:

Tech Guru

Only take a selection of them for DJing. You don't need all thousands of them.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

External hard drive > folder for genre > dated folders

I organise mine by genre and then have a separate folder called 'New Downloads' that I put everything into before sorting... This way if you want to play your newer, fresher beats - they're all there together

At the end of the day - organise them in a way that works for you as you're the only person who needs to know what's what...
    Soundcloud / Mixcloud

DJ / Turntablist / Guitarist / Drummer / Audiophile

Traktor Scratch Pro A10 / Pioneer DJM-800 / 2x Technics SL-1200MK2 / 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000MK3 / Sennheiser HD-25

One folder.
    PROPERLY tagged tunes.
    iTunes Smart Plsylists.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    One folder.
    PROPERLY tagged tunes.
    iTunes Smart Plsylists.
    This here since I switched to itunes I can see a very big change of my work flow for the positive its been ultimately very good for allowing me to keep good origination and ultimately allows me to make playlists within minutes that come in handy.... All my tracks have key and bpm in comments so it helps lots I haven't tried smart playlists but maybe will

Just did a smart playlist very impressive id say too bad it can't read the key field if it could that'd be even better for automation

I don't use the key field for my keys - I use the "Album" field. That way, you CAN have smart playlists based on Key info.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    One folder.
    PROPERLY tagged tunes.
    iTunes Smart Plsylists.
    +1 (Mostly)

I have lots of folders.
    I use a TON of tags.
    iTunes Smart Playlists are the BEST feature of iTunes.

Here is an example of how tags can be used to your advantage with smart playlists to better manage your music.

http://djtechtools.com/2014/01/16/ge...sic-libraries/

Quote Originally Posted by jon doe View Post
    mp3`s are way most club scenes are dead, they just sound like white noise in a club, and have 80% of the high and low hz missing after encoding to mp3

iTunes is a waste of time, only 1 shop for hardcore sell wav, and 2 shops for dnb sell flac or wav
    iTunes can be used to manage music that is purchased from anywhere, in more than just mp3 format.

mp3@320, played with a reasonable sound interface, through an otherwise clean signal path, does sound reasonable in (almost) all cases. If you are filling arenas and touring full time, by all means use wav files. If you can source music in a lossless format, by all means. Seek the highest level of quality that you can reasonably afford to get. Just be aware that there are VERY few good places to stop once you start down that road.

There is a misnomer that bigger and louder sound systems are higher fidelity. In general terms, the highest fidelity listening experience will be at moderate sound levels, in a dedicated listening room, with HEAVY acoustic treatment, and a properly setup and tuned sound system. Anything that raises the noise floor in the room (people talking, HVAC, beer coolers, ice machines, pin ball or video games, mechanical bulls, you know whatever you find at your local club) degrades the fidelity of the listening experience.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Schalenberg

I read these managing music threads and get instant anxiety. I've yet to organize my 2000+ tracks. Dreading it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast