Pitch faders are erratic in Deckadance with VCI-100 Firmware 1.4

Default Pitch faders are erratic in Deckadance with VCI-100 Firmware 1.4

I'm having a problem with my pitch faders in Deckadance. Specifically, the pitch wouldn't change at all when I moved the faders at first. I got them to work, sort of, after using midi learn. But then, the pitch control started acting sporadically. Instead of adjusting from, say +6%/-6%, they would go from +3.4%/-5.2%. Even more confounding, the two decks gave different results. So one deck might be +3/-5, the other would be +2/-6. Also, the range that they will go seems to be affected by how quickly I move the fader.

Does anyone know why this would be? For now, I've got pitch assigned to a knob. It will get me through my next show, but it's far from perfect, since all of the knobs seem unable to land on a 0% value.

Tech Wizard

The pitch faders only send values 4 - 122, and not the typical 0 - 127 that it probably expects.

Also, the pitch and volume faders along with all of the central mixer knobs will send a note when center value is reached, allowing you to map a specific value.

I tried mapping my 4.1 with the deckadance demo a while ago and gave up, it was some versions back however. If you could keep me updated on your progress, I would greatly appreciate it. I'd love to buy deckadance so I could use it as a vst, but my VCI is my primary mixing controller.

Tech Mentor

Like madiman said, make sure the midi notes (ch2 C0 & ch2 C#0) in the middle of the tempo faders are not mapped.

Iīm not into Deckadance, but in Traktor you can select between direct and relative mode. In relative mode you can edit the faderīs behavior. This could help you to get over the strange midi values, madiman wrote about.

Often MIDI LEARN get confused when multiple notes are send. Better assign manually.

BTW, madiman, please tell me which software you used to monitor the midi output? I still donīt have a proper tool for this.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Tech Wizard

ha ha, Traktor and ableton's midi learn are my tools of choice, along with mapping my Kontrol f1's display to a specific control I'm curious about and then using a midi loopback to connect the two.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. '

madiman1, I've seen your notes about the pitch fader values in previous threads. I have no doubt that has something to do with it.

Unfortunately, in Deckadance I have 2 choices for mapping the the controller, using midi learn which seems to be limited to letting me choose to set an input to either an on/off switch or a continuous value.

If I want to get more detailed, like specifying a specific value at the center value or specifying a range of values like 4-122, I need to learn their scripting language. I have no doubt I can learn enough of the languge to kluge something together over the next few weeks, but I don't think I'm going to have it down well enough to get this mapped before my next few events. Might be time to dust off the old cdjs for a spell.

Tech Mentor

OT:
    Iīm curious.

Why donīt you guys use Traktor?

Iīm soon uploading a full featured 4 deck mapping with a lot of FaderFX, JogFX, Superknobs for the VCI100 (with firmware 1.4) as soon as I finish the walkthrough.
    Last edited by c0nsul; 01-28-2015 at 08:57 AM.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

I've been using Deckadance for a little over 5 years now. At the time, I chose it for 2 reasons - VST's and free updates. I didn't want to have to pay another $200 every time the software was upgraded. And, well, I've always preferred to side with the little guys, you know? Now it's just the tool I'm comfortable with. I know it's quirks and I can anticipate problems before they happen - until now.

TBH, I kinda wish there had been more obvious warnings that the firmware was incompatible with any software that isn't Traktor.

Back on topic, I tried installing a demo of Traktor and imported alternately both the 3.64 TSI and 4 TSI. Oddly, the pitch faders are still messed up. Tonight, I will try re-installing the firmware and see if that helps.