Small controller with XLR outputs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small controller with XLR outputs?

I've decided that I want to make my home set-up as close to a club set up as possible, which means that my DDJ-SX2 probably will no longer fit the bill. I do, however, still plan on doing a lot of private parties and events where I have to bring gear out, so I would like to have a controller to lug around. I also have some good speakers with XLR connections that I typically bring with me.

My question is, are there any good, small, light controllers out there that can be used with Serato DJ and have XLR ouputs???
    Alternatively, are there certain adapters that can that a 1/4 out or RCA out and turn it into XLR? If so, do they drastically reduce sound quality?

Sorry for the newb question. Thanks!
    Last edited by Aaron Benjamin; 01-29-2015 at 11:38 AM.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

http://www.amazon.com/XLR-Female-Mal...+to+1%2F4+inch

theres an adapter, theres like 20 different options on amazon.

i personally have never seen much "consumer" audio with XLR outs.... shame
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/XLR-Female-Mal...+to+1%2F4+inch

theres an adapter, theres like 20 different options on amazon.

i personally have never seen much "consumer" audio with XLR outs.... shame
    Thanks. I did come across a number of options as well. I guess my best bet would just be two 1/4 to XLR cables.
    Aaron Benjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    My question is, are there any good, small, light controllers out there that can be used with Serato DJ and have XLR ouputs???
    Alternatively, are there certain adapters that can that a 1/4 out or RCA out and turn it into XLR? If so, do they drastically reduce sound quality?
    The type of connector is one thing. But the CRITICAL idea is this: are the outputs "balanced" or "unbalanced." That is the thing to look for.

Balanced outputs include a ground connection to use as a reference. This requires THREE conductors in the cable, and is commonly used with "xlr" or "1/4 inch TRS" connectors. The connector type does not matter, as long as the connection is "balanced." Balanced connections can be used to make LONG cable runs (my longest was about 800ft) with minimal loss of signal and minimal increase in signal noise.

Unbalanced connections use TWO conductors in the cable. 1/4" STEREO cables also use a TRS connector, but send two unbalanced signals that share a common neutral return path. RCA is a two conductor only connection. Provided the cable lengths are reasonably short (<10ft), there is little degradation of sound quality.
    Last edited by soundinmotiondj; 01-29-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Typos
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    The type of connector is one thing. But the CRITICAL idea is this: are the outputs "balanced" or "unbalanced." That is the thing to look for.

Balanced outputs include a ground connection to use as a reference. This required THREE conductors in the cable, and is commonly used with "xlr" or "1/4 inch TRS" connectors. The connector type does not matter, as long as the connection is "balanced." Balanced connections can be used to make LONG cable runs (my longest was about 800ft) with minimal loss of signal and minimal increase in signal noise.

Unbalanced connections use TWO conductors in the cable. 1/4" STEREO cables also use a TRS connector, but send to unbalanced signals that change a common neutral return path. RCA is a two conductor only connection. Provided the cable lengths are reasonably short (<10ft), there is little degradation of sound quality.
    WOW! That's the explanation I needed! Thank you very much
    Aaron Benjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Tech Guru

WOW! That's the explanation I needed! Thank you very much
    Depending on how much you really want to know....this is pretty much the connector wiring Rosetta stone.

http://www.rane.com/note110.html
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Depending on how much you really want to know....this is pretty much the connector wiring Rosetta stone.

http://www.rane.com/note110.html
    I think my brain just exploded.

I have to ask another newb question to confirm my understanding of your previous explanation:

If I wanted to use a controller with RCA outputs, but I also wanted to play in venues where I would have to connected to speakers placed more than 10 ft away, I would basically be out of luck, right?
    Aaron Benjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Eggy - mate - don't worry about things like club speakers right now. You'd never connect directly to the speakers in a club anyway.

It's a lot of fun discussing what will (might?) happen in a club - but, really, it's just a distraction from learning and getting good at DJ'ing!

Just worry about working with what you've got. You're already confusing yourself by over-thinking things.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Eggy - mate - don't worry about things like club speakers right now. You'd never connect directly to the speakers in a club anyway.

It's a lot of fun discussing what will (might?) happen in a club - but, really, it's just a distraction from learning and getting good at DJ'ing!

Just worry about working with what you've got. You're already confusing yourself by over-thinking things.
    My apologies, Patch. I was actually referring to my own set-up for private events, which consists of two of these: http://www.samsontech.com/samson/pro...auro/aurox12d/

I know I don't have to worry about what will happen with what I've got (DDJ-SX2), because it's a full featured controller. Unfortunately, it's also large and heavy, and makes traveling a bit of a chore (I go to Japan often and would like to be able to have a smaller controller to lug around). That's why I was considering going to something like a Mixtrack Pro III when it comes out

When I play clubs, I always use the house gear, so this kind of thing doesn't come up.
    Aaron Benjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

VCI-380

great controller, is discontinued however so you wouldn't be able to guarantee support

aaaaaand it is small but not suuuuuuuuuuuuper lite...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast