2 laptops - 1 Traktor Z2 (theories and ideas)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 laptops - 1 Traktor Z2 (theories and ideas)

So my want is to be able to switch user laptops (a la Rane 62) with the Traktor Z2

My idea is this, I have a Traktor Audio 10 soundcard laying around from before my Z2, I figure, I can run my decks into the Audio 10, then out to the Z2 as normal, this lets me have timecode signal sent to both my first laptop (running the Z2) and my Audio 10 (running my partners laptop)

I can have it that way, or I'm thinking using splitter cables from the turntable RCA's to the Z2 and Audio 10, in either case I'm sure it would work (maybe a loss of signal strength though?)

My thinking is when my partner is ready to switch up, we just flip the input switch and that would switch between my audio (internal mixing / Z2's natural way) and her audio (analog mixing through the audio 10 / z2 line inputs)

a lot of rambling here, ideas thrown about I know.. I'll be trying this friday evening, anyone think this might work?

This kind of thing kind of makes me wonder if you already have your tracks done in traktor why not just dump to a usb stick and both mix with 1 laptop if both are DVS this makes far more sense in my mind?

Lol I built some insane Frankenstein multi core cables back in the day. Where you could have a serato box and a traktor box (or two traktor boxes) running into one 2 channel scratch mixer. So switchoffs were easy all you would have to do is put different timecodes on and the software would pick it up.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    This kind of thing kind of makes me wonder if you already have your tracks done in traktor why not just dump to a usb stick and both mix with 1 laptop if both are DVS this makes far more sense in my mind?
    This is the right answer.

Having 2 x laptops just doubles your points of failure and over complicates the setup.

Tech Mentor

Yes its possible, as long the A10 has the power supply plugged in, you can switch easily.
    MBP i5 13", NI Z2, 2x NI X1, 2x NI F1s, NI Audio 8, A&H K2, Rane 2016, 2x 1210MK2e, 2x CDJ-400s, RMX-1000, NI S8, MBA 11"

Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    We have two entirely different libraries of music, different styles, plus I've got personal routines and such that I'd like to keep private , not a fan of sharing my hard work with anyone and everyone

this is why I'm praying there's an update the the Z2 (mkii, Z4?) that will have dual USB ports

alright I revised the idea a bit, I forgot the audio coming out the Audio 10 wouldn't be timecode signal, it would be the music she's controlling.. BUT, if she has her inactive decks set to direct thru that'll let the timecode signal through to the z2.

so she could be dormant while I mix, then when she's ready I can hit the TRAKTOR button on my non-active deck to turn off the internal mixing and let the rca cord signal in from the audio 10, and she can enable that same deck on her own (switching from direct thru to skratch control) to start sending her own audio through to the z2

so we both have to hit a single switch to make a switch, not too bad honestly
    Last edited by jam1chicago; 01-29-2015 at 11:47 PM.

It still makes me appreciate 2 channel mixer with 2x aux line inputs or a dedicated DVS line inputs (DIF-1S/M)
    Another option would be to use 4 of these:

Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by jam1chicago View Post
    We have two entirely different libraries of music, different styles, plus I've got personal routines and such that I'd like to keep private , not a fan of sharing my hard work with anyone and everyone
    Stores and libraries don't matter though if you can fit on a usb stick just point the traktor browser to your stick and goto town?
    You wouldn't really be sharing anything since when you remove the drive it's gone... The only issue I see is if you run custom effects mapped out specifically to a controller or something... Just my thoughts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast