Why are used Xone DB4 prices so low, and why don't they still sell ?
    Tech Mentor

Default Why are used Xone DB4 prices so low, and why don't they still sell ?

I've put my Xone DB4 on a few sites but not gotten any response.
    In Europe, i'm seeing these at really prices.....as low at US$1500 on some Irish classified sites.
    The ones on ebay hardly have any watchers.

Wondering why this is the case ?
    It is A&H's flagship mixer. I assume not being Traktor certified and the quality control issues might have something to do with it....
    Though it seems popular on the techno scene in germany!
    Even on youtube, or forums its not very talked about.

Whats the catch ??
    At this point i'm wondering if i made a bad purchase....

Tech Mentor

The price was high, not many users were willing to shell out that much cash for a four channel mixer.

The learning curve of the mixer was higher than your average four channel mixer.

The mixer had overwhelming capabilities that seemed to overshadow what most people would end up using it for.

Youre definitely right on the Traktor certification though, that hit a sore spot with a lot of folks. There were multiple workarounds, but for most, it just seemed easier to go with a DJM900 instead.

Last but not least, it was released around the time that controllers were starting to rise in popularity, most people couldn't justify spending that amount on "just a mixer".

At the time it was released I would have killed for one, but alas, I'm not that well off. Plus that much extra cash can always upgrade something else. I would just be happy with a 92.

Tech Wizard

In my opinion, when you have that amount of cash to spend on a mixer, you'd rather buy something new, because noone wants to spend +€1000 on a piece of electronics that could have been heavily used and could die within a few months. it's not like a used car for which you can go to any car dealer and get something fixed when it dies. it's an investment that carries a lot of risk, so you either put it up at a bargain price, or you hold out for someone who is willing to skim a few hundred for the additional risk.
    ***13' Macbook Pro medio 2014, 2x Technics SL 1200, Allen & Heath Xone 42, Boss Digital Delay 7 ***
    ###TECHNO OR DEATH###

Tech Mentor

Are you that person ?

Tech Wizard

Haha sorry, nope. I'm in the market for a Xone 42 and I think I'm even gonna bite the bullet on that one and buy it brand new.
    ***13' Macbook Pro medio 2014, 2x Technics SL 1200, Allen & Heath Xone 42, Boss Digital Delay 7 ***
    ###TECHNO OR DEATH###

Tech Mentor

haha thought i'd confirm

Johnny, buy used! the Xone 42 is a TANK. Even heavily used, they are usually in great shape, and can sometimes be picked up for like $500 sometimes less.

The key is to find someone who thought they were gonna be a DJ so they bought all this great gear, and like a year they still cant mix 2 tracks together. haha Mad deals!

Tech Wizard

hehe I hear ya, but I have had some bad luck with used gear in the past. A store here in Antwerp has 3 years of warranty with every item you buy. I think that's a pretty sweet deal.
    ###TECHNO OR DEATH###

The DB4 was the only mixer i've ever purchased brand new. Got it for 2200USD. I don't really see the reason to worry about buying used as most folks hardly ever take their gear to the clubs and if they do it is typically babied. Xones and especially the DB4 have always been a more techno oriented mixer. Bro DJs playing trap and electro house stuff wouldn't likely be in that market.

Tech Mentor

I want a 24/96 in/out and 96/96 fixed-point DSP three-channel matrix version with otherwise the same layout and functions of the DB4... just with more space for things and using the dLive console innards instead of the older iLive stuff.