Music producing worths taking lessons?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Music producing worths taking lessons?

Hi, I have been DJing for only about 7 months and I wish to take myself to a new EDM level. The thing is, I don't know any basics of producing, and I wish to learn all the way to the level that it will only take my skills or preferences to create music. So I would have to learn all the basics and every aspects I need.

For the producers, did you learn by courses, your buds, or did you actually learn alone? I think it's pretty much impossible. Nobody would give you some expert lessons for for free on youtube or blog. So I am thinking about taking one (I know it's so pricey though). I live in SoCal, are there any DJs and producer communities or a reliable course? I mainly DJ the House (Electro, Deep house, others) and also Trance. I just wanna be a decent producer. The only thing I got now is the FL Studio Demo. I wish to upgrade everything including hardwares once I get into it.

Cheers!

Think it depends on what your time's worth and if you have the money sitting around to spend on that kind of course.

There are plenty of excellent videos that help with production, (even pro level - check out Pensado's Place on youtube for mixing tips once you have the basics down - maybe Pensando? Can't remember) but there are also a number of different aspects of production, which can make it overwhelming at first: sound design, effects, mixing, arrangement, etc. So, can you learn all these things without those courses? Yes, but it takes a good chunk of time. Can this "crash course" get you ahead of the curve? Yes, but is it worth it? And no matter which course of action you take, mixing and developing a critical ear just take time and practice. No course can teach you those things.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Guru

Two things:

1) Music theory is something that you will need to understand, to some depth, at some point.
    2) "Learning to navigate some DAW software" is to "producing" as "setting up the page margins and picking a font size" is to "writing." That does not mean that learning the tools you have chosen is optional, only that learning to use a DAW is NOT the same as "producing."

I learn with deadlines. Formal courses provide deadlines. Coursera has some well above average classes on music theory, music composition, and even some DAW specific topics. I also like to have a "live person" who can answer questions. That also points in the direction of "classroom" learning as opposed to "self paced" study.

That is me. You will likely have your own learning style. Seek out the methods of learning that favor how you have learned in the past.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Don't do it, you can learn almost anything on the internet nowadays

Ditto. The only reason to go to school for audio production IMVHO is to make contacts in the industry, all the information you need is freely available if you don't mind putting in the time to find and learn it.

This humble guy above actually has a lot of great information on his website.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

There's no substitute for being around those who make good music, and watching them work and picking it up that way. I've always viewed production courses, etc as a bit like painting by numbers. There's no right and wrong. No doubt any lesson there is there must be a freebie online.

I think one of the most important aspects of production is arrangement. Some of the greats, like Quincy Jones, were fantastic arrangers.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Tech Wizard

I'd prefer to take free online courses if that would be enough, it's obvious. Then I can invest more on hardwares though. I can't find any free classes on coursera though, any help? I need the basics to learn until I have the required skill to create on my own, until what it takes is my creativity. I wish to meet fellow producers though, like a community I guess? Any suggestions?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gotzeus View Post
    I'd prefer to take free online courses if that would be enough, it's obvious. Then I can invest more on hardwares though. I can't find any free classes on coursera though, any help? I need the basics to learn until I have the required skill to create on my own, until what it takes is my creativity. I wish to meet fellow producers though, like a community I guess? Any suggestions?
    What did you search for? I tried "music" and got a page of results. Almost all of these are going on now.

https://class.coursera.org/abletonlive-001

https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

https://www.coursera.org/course/musicianship

https://www.coursera.org/course/songwriting

https://www.coursera.org/course/musictheory
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast