Upgrading my Macbook. Advice Please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrading my Macbook. Advice Please!

Hey,

I'm currently on a mid 2009 Macbook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, and a 500GB HDD.

I know that I need to upgrade, because I've noticed apps starting to slow down, but what is a reasonable upgrade? Obviously, the ideal would be a top-spec brand new one, but I'm not sure how necessary that is. Also, I don't quite understand what the difference between my processor, an i5, a different GHz rate, and a different MHZ rate for the RAM.

Basically, if anyone has generally advice/knowledge to impart about all the numbers and letters, that'd rock. Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to what a decent spec would be, that' also be great. I'm focussed on staying 100% Apple at the moment.

Cheers
    DJ|Producer|Actor
    SOUNDCLOUD
    ACTING

For what its worth, no matter the specs, you can always push the cpu load meter into the red if u ( don't) try hard enough. Then someone comes out with a new vst or u discover a software u want to add to a project or performance rig, and it lowers your ceiling from what you're used to. With this in mind I usually try to get the most powerful machine available, that's within my financial limits, since i will likely be using it for a long time to come.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Guru

Hardware is deep, and it's a lot more than just the numbers, there's things like threads on the processors as well which can add to a processors capabilities. GhZ is essentially how fast your CPU and finish calculations. The MHz of the RAM, that's the clock speed. That's how fast your CPU can add and remove data (the frequency it can connect to swap, higher the better) but there's also a transfer rate and a few other timing related features.

Not only that, you can have a powerhouse of a computer but if your motherboards chip set is out of date you'll find some applications just won't run as efficiently as they should.

Since you're buying a Mac though, there's only one thing you need to know: Newer is better. Apple do all the hard work of ensuring their systems are smooth running and will last at least 4 years before they start to show signs of the times, and the next update is always better than the current.

Check this out: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

Given the figures, you can anticipate a new model will be out in around 3 months.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Cheers for the simple answers guys

I'm assuming off the bat that an Air isn't really powerful enough for Logic, Traktor, FCP7, PSD, and such? More of a notebook is what I've been led to believe...
    DJ|Producer|Actor
    SOUNDCLOUD
    ACTING

i have heard of people running all of those on an air, but running is a relative and subjective idea. again, more power , more better, for the overall utility. and yes mac makes it easy,just buy the most expensive one :P

trying to shop for a powerful windows machine is like walking into a labyrinth.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Mentor

If you want to upgrade your MacBook, take a SSD. This will boost your MacBook and apps will start in never seen speed.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsul View Post
    If you want to upgrade your MacBook, take a SSD. This will boost your MacBook and apps will start in never seen speed.
    This... SSD upgrade (or from new) will make the biggest difference.

I am running a mid-2009 MBP and it flies with an SSD in it. I have a terabyte spinning drive in where the CD burner used to be that holds my library.

I might upgrade next year but I can't fit a second hard drive in the new macbooks, and I worry that having it externally would be unreliable.

If you running osx maveriks or later try double ssd with raid0 setup. my mac with 2 ssd samsung 840 pro has 970 mb/s read and 900mb/s write that is more than the 13" retina... but my mac is a 13 late 2011 and has allmost the same benchmark of a mac 4 years younger !!!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

i have heard of people running all of those on an air, but running is a relative and subjective idea. again, more power , more better, for the overall utility. and yes mac makes it easy,just buy the most expensive one :P
    A 2011 i5 Air with HD5000 should run any app faster than any Core2Duo macbook pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast