[House] House,Garage & Drum and Bass Mix.Feedback please !!
    Tech Mentor

Default House,Garage & Drum and Bass Mix.Feedback please !!

My first time mixing dnb and i found it tricky my transition from house to dnb is not the best so any tips would be appreciated. always trying new ways to mix so i would be happy with feedback thanks

https://soundcloud.com/dj-habit17/ho...-drum-and-bass

Tech Mentor

Tracklist:

Katie May - Would you come back (Thomas Graham Remix)
    Shadow Child feat Doorly - Piano Weapon
    Donae'o ft Carnao Beats - Gone In The Morning (Tough Love Remix)
    SecondCity & Rektchordz - All Night
    Tough Love vs Ginuwine - Pony
    Sam Sure - Hunger (Jaded Remix)
    Shadow Child - String Thing
    Hannah Wants & lorenzo Rhymes
    DJ Zinc - Nexx
    Mosca - What You Came For
    DJ Zinc Go DJ 'original mix
    Ms Dynamite - Neva Soft (The Mike Delinquent Project remix)
    DJ Zinc - 138 Trek
    DJ Zinc - 174 Trek
    Gridlok & Prolix - Tru Born Playa feat. MC Fats
    Clipz & Die - Number 1
    Pendulum - Tarantula
    Commix - Be True
    DJ Zinc Creeper

Tech Mentor

some feedback would be good as i dont have any friends that dj. so i would really love some educated feedback.

When you start out I like to have a simple kick, hat snare drum pattern that gradually builds in volume for maybe 8 bars or so as if you were smoothly mixing between DJ's. 4:20 I just don't like this mix, The vocals clash so hard with the melody unless the dissonance was something you were going for? 7:36 I really like this. 8:08 sounds like the kick is clipping/distorting. 11:56 kick is clearly distorting. 13:00 kick again . 21:40 love how you switched up how you were mixing between tracks. 23:45 strange sound. I think you have it a little backwards imo you should be mixing quickly between songs early on in the set and as people fall more into the groove you lengthen them. You start doing some really quick mixes later on in the set. D&B isn't my cup of tea so I can't really comment on that ;p. I'm also being REALLY picky and analyzing everything overall I think it was really good! What did you mix it in/on?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Im Shy View Post
    When you start out I like to have a simple kick, hat snare drum pattern that gradually builds in volume for maybe 8 bars or so as if you were smoothly mixing between DJ's. 4:20 I just don't like this mix, The vocals clash so hard with the melody unless the dissonance was something you were going for? 7:36 I really like this. 8:08 sounds like the kick is clipping/distorting. 11:56 kick is clearly distorting. 13:00 kick again . 21:40 love how you switched up how you were mixing between tracks. 23:45 strange sound. I think you have it a little backwards imo you should be mixing quickly between songs early on in the set and as people fall more into the groove you lengthen them. You start doing some really quick mixes later on in the set. D&B isn't my cup of tea so I can't really comment on that ;p. I'm also being REALLY picky and analyzing everything overall I think it was really good! What did you mix it in/on?
    Thanks alot this is the feedback i wanted, yeah with the clipping i still havnt figured how to get the professional sound yet i followed a video to master my mix but that clipping is there even though it was recorded about-10db. I use technics 1210 with traktor z2 and novation dicers with scratch pro. I will take in what you said and pursue with it in the next mix =)

I'll try to give this a listen tomorrow at work...hopefully I don't forget or get sidetracked...

DnB is a different world from house.

Looking forward to it.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    I'll try to give this a listen tomorrow at work...hopefully I don't forget or get sidetracked...

DnB is a different world from house.

Looking forward to it.
    thanks mate it was my first ever time trying to mix dnb properly and i did struggle haha

I actually appreciated switching up the genres in the mix. Well played sir or ma'am.

Yeah, a couple transitions could have been more smooth. You appear to like more direct transitions, which probably works much better for D & B. I'm not much of a fan of them in house, but then again, I drag out my transitions too long and sometimes wind up with clashing harmonies. So, I can't give you much criticism without first criticising myself. The house wasn't the stuff I'm into, but a real solid mix IMO. You could probably clean up a lot of things by knowing your songs a bit better.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    I actually appreciated switching up the genres in the mix. Well played sir or ma'am.

Yeah, a couple transitions could have been more smooth. You appear to like more direct transitions, which probably works much better for D & B. I'm not much of a fan of them in house, but then again, I drag out my transitions too long and sometimes wind up with clashing harmonies. So, I can't give you much criticism without first criticising myself. The house wasn't the stuff I'm into, but a real solid mix IMO. You could probably clean up a lot of things by knowing your songs a bit better.
    thanks alot mate, yeah youre right I hardly knew my tunes this mix was rushed compared to my other ones and I just wanted to get it out there