Tips for Gig Virgin?? (First Gig) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You would be much better off playing the songs they want from start to finish than mixing at all. I've had many gigs where I was expecting to play a certain type of set and after a few songs, realized that it wasn't going to work. Hell, I've played gigs that I played nothing but pop country. I've also had gigs where I played nothing but 90s grunge rock. Build a huge library and let the crowd guide you.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyv View Post
    If you're a mobile DJ, you have to play what the crowd wants. If you're a superstar DJ and established yourself in a certain genre, then you can play whatever you want.
    This ^^^ is absolutely correct

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by funke View Post
    You would be much better off playing the songs they want from start to finish than mixing at all. I've had many gigs where I was expecting to play a certain type of set and after a few songs, realized that it wasn't going to work. Hell, I've played gigs that I played nothing but pop country. I've also had gigs where I played nothing but 90s grunge rock. Build a huge library and let the crowd guide you.
    Oh well lol i learned my lesson then. Thanks for the advice man

For this type of gig, I would focus entirely on crowd reading. Pay attention to people bobbing their head and tapping their feet. Remember what songs were doing it for those people. When they are on the dance floor play something similar to what you were playing that got them grooving. This is very important early on in the evening. Shoot and miss till you find what is working and what isn't. It's a lot like playing battleship. Then when you get the crowd going, work them hard for a bit and then give them a break by trying something new. Most likely they will go get a drink and you will pull some of the sitters in the dance floor. Go with what they are digging for a bit and then go back to what you were playing earlier. Hopefully then you will have everyone dancing and carrying on, or at least going in cycles. It's a game of people watching. If by chance that you have everyone on the dance floor, then you are winning and should then focus on your mixing. This is when you will be playing your best tunes new or old. After a while of this, the person that is paying you will be saying that you are the life of the party and handing you a stack of cash. Then you hand them your card and ask them to tell their friends.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Convert

For this type of gig, I would focus entirely on crowd reading. Pay attention to people bobbing their head and tapping their feet. Remember what songs were doing it for those people. When they are on the dance floor play something similar to what you were playing that got them grooving. This is very important early on in the evening. Shoot and miss till you find what is working and what isn't. It's a lot like playing battleship. Then when you get the crowd going, work them hard for a bit and then give them a break by trying something new. Most likely they will go get a drink and you will pull some of the sitters in the dance floor. Go with what they are digging for a bit and then go back to what you were playing earlier. Hopefully then you will have everyone dancing and carrying on, or at least going in cycles. It's a game of people watching. If by chance that you have everyone on the dance floor, then you are winning and should then focus on your mixing. This is when you will be playing your best tunes new or old. After a while of this, the person that is paying you will be saying that you are the life of the party and handing you a stack of cash. Then you hand them your card and ask them to tell their friends.
    Its all experience tho mate lol I didn't expect too much from my first gig anyways. How many gigs have you done? quite a few i'd imagine ae

After a while of this, the person that is paying you will be saying that you are the life of the party and handing you a stack of cash. Then you hand them your card and ask them to tell their friends.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I play all types of gigs. 9 out 10 of my last gigs I've gotten huge tips after I've already been paid.

Pretty much nailed It. I been at this for a very long time, and it really is down to pleasing the audience, regardless of the management. The public is paying their wages too. Give em what they want, yer onto a winner. Break up the night by slowing tempo down to some R&B, change the genres round a bit, give people a break, and manipulate the floor to your advantage. And it's not all about playing the freshest tunes either, go too fresh, the song isn't established. Classic tunes are timeless, don't be afraid to use them too. You'd be surprised how well they might just fit. It might be the thing to set you apart from the rest.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Convert

I play all types of gigs. 9 out 10 of my last gigs I've gotten huge tips after I've already been paid.
    For real? wtf! hahah you must be profesh as fuck theeeen

Well...the area i live in is flooded with djs that show up with a laptop full of 128kbps torrented music and the cheapest set of speakers they can buy. They will usually have a premade playlist in itunes and go sit at the bar. So it's not too terribly difficult to surpass expectations.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast