Live 9 Won't Record MIDI

Default Live 9 Won't Record MIDI

I've got a drum kit in one of the tracks and it plays fine with the controller, but as soon as I try to record, it stops making any sound and nothing gets recorded The track is armed and there's a clip in session view... the arrangement view shows a recording getting laid down but there are no notes in it. As soon as I stop recording I can play the drums again... what gives?!?!

By drum kit do you mean a kit loaded in a Drum rack? Can you get a screen shot and post it here?

Default screen shots

Yes drum rack (sorry I'm a newb and haven't gleaned all the correct terminology YET ) here it is with the audio clip that I'm trying to accompany.
    Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 4.35.09 PM.jpg

Here it is mid-record... you can see that it it laying something down.. and in fact it registers notes somewhat by putting the separation lines between measures when ever I play anything (otherwise the light box it lays downs would be solid if I don't play anything.) While it's "recording" the track doesn't create any audio... no drums... like it's disconnected. As soon as I stop recording I can hear them again.
    Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 4.38.01 PM.jpg

Are you recording in session view (the grid) or arrangement view (the more traditional horizontal view)? It's honestly really hard to know exactly what's going wrong from just looking at a few cropped pictures, are you interested in doing a Screen share Skype call? I'm confident with our powers combined we can figure this out. I will PM you my email hit me up!

Apparently you have PM's turned off.

copy the midi "track" and paste it into another midi "track". delete the one giving issues

Here's what I think is happening:

Your midi clip in your session view may be blank, but activated and playing.

If this is happening, when you record in the arrangement view, it's just recording your blank midi clip looping over and over again, hence the indentations you see in the timeline for each repetition of the blank clip.

For those separate sections in the arrangement recording, it might be possible that your midi is triggering the clip again, creating the separate clips in the arrangement. That really depends on the controller you're using and how it's configured. Once you do this for a bit you'll get more comfortable with the idea of midi channels and notes and cc's and all that.

You can double click on that midi you see recording in the arrangement view to see if there is any midi data in it, but there probably isn't.

Look out for this orange button:

l9tut3_p3.png

If it's lighting up, you're probably not recording where you want to be.

For maximum overkill, check out the Ableton manual on the subject here:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/recording-new-clips/

Good luck
    Last edited by alexandermon; 03-30-2015 at 09:24 PM.