Thinking about moving to the USA, for the music, this spring
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Thinking about moving to the USA, for the music, this spring

Hey guys,
    so this is something I've been thinking about for a while and it could be one of those defining decisions I'll make in my life so it's with great optimism I'm considering moving to the US of A, joining a lot of you guys and expanding my horizons...

so with that said, I'll just break bottom line right off the bat; is there anyone here who could help me out with finding somewhere to live or a place to work in your home state?

As exciting as it sounds going there with barely any money and no contacts, I think that'll just end up with me like it did for my friend (homeless for three months, painting sidewalks in LA for a living) so I need some kind of plan or at least a friendly face when I get there...

I've never been to the states so I don't really know what my options are but I've heard good things (music and culture-wise) about Philly, SF, Chicago... NY? I really don't know for sure but I'm hoping this post could help me in my decision making, I just know that I don't want this cold ass weather we right now over in scandinavia :P

The reason I'm even considering moving is simple; there's practically no electronic music scene in Sweden and imo, people are overall reluctant to anything that's not guitars - I think a fresh start in a new city with a vibrant culture scene and friends who can musically inspire me is exactly what I need. As it is right now I'm basically plucking along alone in my 18 square meter apt (imperial system will come later) and while I'm trying to find people to brainstorm and work with, I think it's too much of an uphill battle to stay in this city.

So if anyone's read this far, would someone want to help a lone Swede out in what I see as "everything I've ever seen on TV"-land?
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

There are tons of places all throughout this massive country that have VERY different music scenes, not to mention stuff in Canada, as you can see from the posters here.

NYC is brutal. Brooklyn and Queens and Jersey are a LOT more manageable, but the competition is unending, the cost is abhorrent, etc. etc.

I hate Philly, but I know lots of people that enjoy that city.

There's also DC, Miami, Atlanta, Boston... all have EDM scenes. Even smaller cities have things that are rather surprising.

Really, to avoid the situation your friend got into, you need to get yourself some sort of job ahead of time. Be it a work share, or some sort of connections. The market for jobs in the states if fucking terrible in every way, shape, and form. I mean, I have friends who have been trying to find jobs that pay more than $9 and hour for YEARS. I count my blessing every day for the job I have.

Moving cold to another city, with very few connections and opportunities, is going to be a very uphill battle. It also depends on the kind of music your looking at. For example, NYC is VERY electro and indie, and drum and bass and dubstep are almost non-existant.

So that comes into it too.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yeah I know what you're saying about the jobs man, situation is fubar over here as well so I'm feeling that when I'm at a breaking point in my life like right now, might as well go for it somewhere else. But since I basically don't have any contacts over there, this is a small way for me to get in touch with people who could help out (and plus, people who share my love for music)

Of course I'd love to come to a city with a big electro scene, NYC sounds great, but I don't think I can be picky right now. I know there's plenty of competition so if I could catch a break anywhere decent, I'm up for the experience.

My dad moved to Sweden when he was 20 years old so I think I got it in me
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

you may want to consider an area with a budding music scene, as opposed to an area with a huge music scene already in action, for the same reasons as dvls stated above: competition. if you want to get gigs, la, nyc, sf, miami, etc already have huge djs playing there nearly everynight, so getting gigs will be extremely tough. take a city with a young, yet growing electronic music scene, portland, oregon or austin, texas for example, and you can very easily be one of the names rising to the top.

just a suggestion

Yeah, it might be a good idea to look at secondary markets around the areas. I mean, NYC, Miami, Chicago, LA all strike me as primary markets. Portland would be a good example of a secondary market. It's much less expensive to live, there are opportunities, and you can try and pick up side gigs in the process. And always look at the surrounding areas of the city when considering if mass transit is an option. Big cities are VERY risky (but sometimes worth it), and can completely ruin you. They can also make you huge. But te percentage of actors who make it is very small, the percentage of DJs who make it is miniscule.

For example, in NYC, 2/3 of the bars have DJs on any night of the week (random guess). Even of that number, the amount of them making something resembling a living wage is laughable. Then the guys who are really supporting themselves you can probably fit in a large room.

But there are TONS of people begging. This is the downside of a large city, and why you should take it as an option after you've made yourself known. Though, looking in the surrounding area like Brooklyn/Queens/Jersey might be a good secondary market.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Weird, my wife and I are totally the opposite, we want to leave Canada to move to Europe, we hate the music scene here, everyone we want to see only tours in Europe! Quite a few of them are from Sweden as well: Cell, Solar Fields, CBL, etc.

Best of luck to you though!
    17" MBP:2.66Ghz i7 8Gb| Traktor Pro 2|Live 8 Suite
    Novation Twitch & LaunchPad|M-Audio Oxygen 25
    Presonus FireStudio Mobile|Shure 315's|Yamaha HS50M's
    "“beatmatching” isnt even a fucking skill as far as im concered anyway. so what, you can count to 4. cool. i had that skill down when i was 3."-deadmau5

Yeah, keep that in mind. A LOT of the artists that are around Europe never come to the states to play because it is so god awful expensive and tedious to get the visas.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

have u thought about leaving sweden for another european country...like france, spain, germany? i can totally understand u with saying sweden is all about nonelectronic music, but in my eyes europe has a lot to offer when it comes down to different style of edm...i mean u have england, belgium and whatnot with a huge d&b and dubstep scene. france, spain,germany...with a shitload of techno, mnml, electro stuff. and the countries are really close. so there is no problem by leaving the country.
    the other fact u should think about is the jobsituation here in europe must be by far better than in the states, health insurance blablabla...
    give europe a chance
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Still thinking about New Zealand over here.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Still thinking about New Zealand over here.
    keep in mind tekki! nz has tough import rules...and the bcr is a ugly but effective workhorse. dunno if they allow horses
    Last edited by Ed Paris; 11-06-2009 at 06:32 PM.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast