Adjusting to the S8 "Future of DJing"

Default Adjusting to the S8 "Future of DJing"

I had a Novation Twitch for a while as a home unit before I stopped DJing. Looking at potentially getting back into it when I'm done with this next production certification @ Berklee online. Going to look into new career path(s).

I am considering the Numark NV, Xone 4D, or S4 or S8. I was able to use the touch strips fine to beat match on Twitch. I rarely planned ahead enough to ensure all my track beat grids were perfect. But if I want to use the remix decks that sort of is a must I suppose. The reason I am considering the Xone 4D is because I used a Xone DX for last 2-3 years I was gigging. I used it with a itch and loved the controller and Serato.

Through my production learning path, I've accumulated a lot of NI products: Maschine Studio, Komplete 10, Kontrol S61, and various plug ins. I have TP1 license too. NI also has jobs in U.S. and my background (day job) is ~20 years in IT coupled with DJing and Home studio. So thinking might be good to be better aquatinted with Traktor & NI HW.

But also curious in people are adjusting to the S8. As well as how it would contrast or compare to my other options. Looking for outside opinions here... I can compare options, specs, etc... But real life helps helps a lot before dropping $1k

Tech Wizard

I've had an S8 for a couple of weeks, early doors but I think:

I don't miss the jogs, touch strips intuitive.

Best NI build quality I've seen.

Screens work very well - very rare to look at the laptop now (big bonus).

I think if you're basing your world around Traktor & remix deck this is (currently) the best integrated controller.

Default Anyone Using Xone Gear + Traktor?

Thank you Nezza. That is good to hear. Some will he mixed about the jog wheels. I have thought about perhaps an S4 + an F1. First is is cheaper and second you get remix + jogs. Downside is you don't get the screens and mixer functionality (i don't see myself needing DVS... just another set of equipment to buy, maintain, haul, and worry about breaking).

I am interested to hear if anyone is using any of the Xone 4D or DX with Traktor 2? The DX had such warm and powerful output, it really makes me love A&H gear. I have the XD53 MK2 headphones and they are incredible. I could also buy a A&H Xone DX (used, refurb, possibly new) and use it with Traktor. The integration was not as nice as with ITCH. But very inexpensive route. Alternatively, the 4D is a piece of gear that would work DJ and Studio wise very well.

But as you point out... if I am wanting to further my NI knowledge of their products, the S8 is the best way to go. I just like to consider my options and hear what people have to say. There are some great articles on DJTT on the Xone gear, but since the DX and 4D have been in market for so long ... the DX is discontinued while the 4D is still being sold! So that is why I thinking the 4D isn't so archaic.

Agreed. But you really HAVE to prep your tracks to a beat grid to get the most out of it. If you're going to try and beat match or old school DJ with it, much better off just going for the S4 IMO.

Tech Wizard

I agree if you're just a straight A into B DJ it's overkill, it's dependant on sync but you could beat match manually with the S8.

the NV means you will go with Serato, so it's more a choice of software than hardware really.
    The 4d is now really outdated, it' still a fantastic mixer but the controller parts are so far behind what you could get nowadays it makes no sense to invest in one (or you fall on a fantastic deal and it may make sense but still, its resale value will drop drastically anyway with time passing by).
    The s4 doesn't really disappoint, especially at that price point. You may want to invest in a f1 in addition if you really wanna exploit correctly at least one remix deck (the s8 being more practical - not to the point of a F1 still).
    As for the s8, it's just another piece of gear you may or may not exploit all possibilities, but that shouldn't be a barrier to dismiss it and certainly not overkill even with a+b mixing (just for the sake of the screens). Once again, even if it's better than a s4 in that aspect, working on several layers is always a compromise on practicality. Even with more control at your disposal, and direct access and visual on only two rows of slots of remix slots doesn't really replace a dedicated controller (unless you use them as samples launcher instead of exploiting fully a (remix) 'deck'.

My two cents.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

All great responses. I'll keep belaboring and obsessing. but I am leaning S8.

I have also considered Xone DB2 + the Xone or NI deck / remix controllers.

It's a good time to be a modern DJ.

Tech Wizard

S8 vs S4, price likely does come into it for some, S8 almost double S4 and you can a huge amount on an S4.

I have had the s8 for about a month and a half and the biggest thing for me is the physical feel of the s8. I have had a mk1 s2 and mk1 s4 along with playing with mk2 versions that friends have and I must say that thew quality of the build on the s8 is miles ahead. From the touch sensitive nobs to the quality of the faders along with the ability to remove them for cleaning or replacement. The only issue I have with the s8 is that I need to use the latest version of traktor (2.7.3) which is still not completely stable. With that being said I suggest you find a good deal on a s8 and pick it up for sure.
    Setup - DJM-900Nexus, Kontrol F1, Kontrol x1 MK2, Lenovo Yoga 11s i7 8gig ram, 256 SSD.