How often do you performing DJs use the filters/EQ/FX/samples during sets? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Reverb + Delay, sometimes...
    That's it!

Air horn, nothing else matters.

Tech Mentor

the resonance on the pioneer mixer filter is way too ear piercing for my liking. hearing DJs use it at 120dB of volume during an already resonating white noise riser is extremely uncomfortable. Don't even get me started on the white noise effect on the DJM. I've also seen DJ's overuse the flanger/phaser to the point I have had to walk out of my sound engineer booth and tell them to turn it off after leaving it running for 3 minutes straight over top of a track. I really only use the slip roll for quick fills, space for added shimmer on the tail end of a bridge into a breakdown, dub echo or spiral on buildups (careful tho cause it's easy to add volume to your master channel, remember to leave headroom). Recently I've been moving my DJ performances to Ableton and the amount of custom fx chains you can build from plugins is practically limitless.

But I can't stress this enough, watch the resonance! you are responsible for the hearing damage of your listeners. FX can really do damage when overused incorrectly at high volumes.

Tech Mentor

I use my custom remix sets, depending on genre, and filters and effects of added build up drama and transitions.
    Macbook Pro 15' - Kontrol S4 - MF Pro Beatmasher - NI Maschine- Korg Nano Kontrol - Akai MPK Mini- Champagne Bottles

Tech Guru

I use filters as a way to cut bass from tracks and that's about it. Sometimes I'll filter out both tracks when doing a transition kind of like a master isolator style effect but that's about as fancy as I get with it.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

I have been spending my last 3 years learning and mastering my delay; one effect used sparingly and properly can create many different vibes and in return you will thank yourself for being a master of one and jack of none.

Quote Originally Posted by dsquareddan View Post
    Recently I've been moving my DJ performances to Ableton and the amount of custom fx chains you can build from plugins is practically limitless.
    This is one of the main reasons I started "performing" with Live 2 years ago. When I saw everything that was possible with effects chains and on the fly editing it was a no brainer for me. All though I would absolutely love to have the money to have a set of TT and also a set of CDJs to learn all the things that Live does automatically, its just not a reality for me. It sucks that just about everyone discards you as a DJ/Performer if you use live but I had to pick one way of doing it (TT/CDJ/Live) when I started and I chose the way that seemed most limitless to me. Hopefully one day I can afford a set of TT and a nice mixer and learn all the things our founding fathers set before us...

Tech Convert

Default Push or Launchpad

Hi guys! Another question for you experienced cats?

Do many of you perform sets with Push or Launchpad? If so, how often will you bust out a beat or play a sample during your set?

Also any potential technical difficulties to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
    GJF

(Note: I might make this a new thread but wasn't sure if it would be accepted or not since I'm a new member so not all my posts appear so sorry in advance)

Tech Convert

Kwal's observation of using the filters at the right time, seamlessly integrating into the track's sound is a key point. In the examples from the video, he was using the effects to build energy but he was also showing you transitions specifically, and playing hi energy songs where effects don't seem as obtrusive. If you can pick your moments to enhance what's happening in the song in a way that sounds like it could have been on the recording, that's a good starting point. Also effects have a structural use, like he showed with the delay to go into a new track If you do it right, an effect can act as glue between two distinctly separate ideas. I think the easiest way to assess this decision is, does the effect sit on top of the songs, or does it compliment them and help to deepen what they do when you play them for people.

Tech Mentor

Fx, samples, eq etc...these are all the spices of music. Too much or too little and the balance of the mix can be destroyed. With the proper timing and amount you get the best results.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast