TRAKTOR CRASHES on CARL COX - Live @ BPM Festival 2015 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

yah amps blow, breakers blow, cords get tripped on, needles break, faders go out, pots get noisy... the list goes forever
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    But what did you think of the 2 hours before the crash?
    I enjoyed it! Cox really gets into his sets, and that happiness shines through his music. However, I couldn't help notice the beginning of the video where they were getting him situated with his S8 setup. It seemed like a bit of a hassle and took some time into his performance to get set. This is where NI's compact controllers shine above the S8 (easier to get in and out of booths). I did notice he really is using a lot of the S8's features, but besides the on-board screens - is he really gaining benefit over an X1 + F1 setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal
    Sucks, that's why I don't run Traktor live. Don't want to run into this kind of issue.
    As others have stated in this thread, any gear can fail at any given moment (even "club standard" gear). This is actually one of the main reasons why I prefer to use my own Traktor setup & controllers. I can't tell you how many times i've walked into a DJ booth and there were issues with the in-house equipment. I think it all comes down to how well you know your gear, practicing in a bedroom/studio setup before you take it on the road, and not updating things often if it isn't necessary. Most importantly, having some sort of a backup if your primary setup goes out of order.
    Kosta X // Innovative Audio Visual Design + Events
    Connect with me on Facebook // SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta X View Post
    As others have stated in this thread, any gear can fail at any given moment (even "club standard" gear). This is actually one of the main reasons why I prefer to use my own Traktor setup & controllers. I can't tell you how many times i've walked into a DJ booth and there were issues with the in-house equipment. I think it all comes down to how well you know your gear, practicing in a bedroom/studio setup before you take it on the road, and not updating things often if it isn't necessary. Most importantly, having some sort of a backup if your primary setup goes out of order.
    thats what im sayin, i always carry my own stuff.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Definitely one of the shittier moments you can experience as a DJ. But on the other hand I realized that DJs tend to worry way to much about stuff like this. Look at Carl Cox... he knows that stuff like this happens and he knows that it will not be the end of his DJ career and only is a good sport about it.

Humans fail and technology fails. Combine them and they fail a bit more often. I can't count how many times someone bumped into my 1210s, pulled out a cable, had the sudden urge to try what happens if you push 'that button', threw confetti on the record, feedback on the turntables, a CDJ starting the track over without being touched, USB stick that suddenly is corrupted, Vinyl that doesn't stop skipping and so on. When I had M-Audio Torq I had at least one crash per night. Serato (SSL.. can't speak for the newer versions) was rock-stable for me, same with Traktor. Take good care of your weapon of choice (be it vinyl, USB sticks, iPads, Laptop) and try to minimize risk factors and if it happens, play it down and be a good sport about it. Thats it.

By the way... there are several fail moments in the BPM festival videos, thats definitely not the only issue that happened on air.
    Last edited by sheikyerbouti; 02-16-2015 at 06:12 AM.

the point is..."Hey it even happens to the best!" and don't give up on Traktor, because he is playin the SHIT out of Traktor. Really dope set!

Even he realizes, "wow there's just some stuff you cant do on a cdj, if I want to have the hottest sound, I gotta start playing digital!"

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta X View Post
    However, I couldn't help notice the beginning of the video where they were getting him situated with his S8 setup. It seemed like a bit of a hassle and took some time into his performance to get set.
    That looked like a smooth transition between DJs to me. They started by scooting the A&H setup over to the side, and the moving his laptop from the stand to the side. Overall, it looked to be a "well rehearsed" move to me.

The laptop move was BOLD. As much as I like USB, the lack of any real retention on the plugs still makes me nervous after all these years.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

This could have been recovered from pretty easily, too. He's already got his CDJs hooked up to the S8. just change that channel from timecode control to analog in and stick a CD in the CDJ and he's mixing again. Of course I don't know how hard this is to do on the S8, having never touched one.

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    That looked like a smooth transition between DJs to me. They started by scooting the A&H setup over to the side, and the moving his laptop from the stand to the side. Overall, it looked to be a "well rehearsed" move to me.

The laptop move was BOLD. As much as I like USB, the lack of any real retention on the plugs still makes me nervous after all these years.
    Yeah, they def were professional with the transitions from DJ to DJ, and had lots of room which helps a a lot. I too was a bit uneasy when i saw them moving the laptop...
    Kosta X // Innovative Audio Visual Design + Events
    Connect with me on Facebook // SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

If you look at the moment it stops, the S8 actually resets - you can see the default screens appears, so it could be the S8 hardware rather than Traktor crapping out.

Coxy handled it well though - the old pro. Everyone likes Coxy!

Everyone knows this can happen with ANY gear out there. Not great timing for NI that it happened with their shiny new S8 that CC is taking with him and it's all on video
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast