mixer for cdj2000 nexus

Default mixer for cdj2000 nexus

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Also to the DJing world.

I'm thinking about buying two cdj2000 nexus players, however I'm pretty confused about the mixer. Do I need to buy a mixer from the NXS series as well to fully use the syncing ability between those 2 players? If I buy a cheaper mixer, not from the series, how will that work? For example the sync button? For now I can still afford those players, however an expensive mixer 'designed' for them is already too expensive for me.

Could anybody explain? I'm new to the DJ world and maybe some of you will tell me that I should buy something cheaper for a start, but I'm not new to the music world, I'm producing and designing sounds for years now, so please don't treat me as a total noob.
    Cheers

You don't need to buy a nexus series mixer. The nexus series mixer as well as the original DJM2000 have additional features when paired with either CDJ2000s or CDJ2000NXS players such as a link function, "on air" feature where the platters change colours when the fader is pushed up. The sync feature will work with any mixer as long as your CDJs are linked via a LAN cable, you can link up to 4 CDJs however with more than two you will need a network switch. If you don't want to spend "nexus" level money on a mixer, I would suggest checking out the DJM850. Very similar to the 900NXS and can be found for around $1200 new if you look hard enough. If you don't care about used you could grab a DJM800 for real cheap or try to find a used 900NXS for around $1200-$1600. Good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by monokei View Post
    Do I need to buy a mixer from the NXS series as well to fully use the syncing ability between those 2 players? If I buy a cheaper mixer, not from the series, how will that work? For example the sync button?
    For syncing between two CDJ's a you don't need a Pioneer mixer.
    All you would get with a nexus mixer are "quantized" effects on the mixer (mixer gets BPM data via cable instead of "normal" mixers which use BPM detection via audio) and your CDJ would have red lights on the platter when they are "live" on the mixer (line fader on that channel is up).

If all you need is a decent mixer with some club standard FX's (echo, delay, reverb, loop,..) for playing in your house - even a DJM-400 is a decent choice. Also, look for other manufacturers. A&H, Denon,...
    Mixers are pretty similar between manufacturers, they all use a few standard FX and a similar layout.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

please don't treat me as a total noob.
    You're worse than a noob. You're a noob with too much money.

Why do you think you NEED 2000NXS CDJ's, when you don't even know what mixer to match them with?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You're worse than a noob. You're a noob with too much money.

Why do you think you NEED 2000NXS CDJ's, when you don't even know what mixer to match them with?
    I don't have too much money. I'm passionate about music, creating it and now I want to try to DJ. I've been making music for hobby for years, and recently I decided to try something new and to check how I'm doing with DJing, I checked Traktor and I decided I want to do the same on equipment, practice on some more advanced ones from the start. I'm not scared of all the knobs and buttons, because I find creating music much more challanging. I learned most functions of Traktor in 2 hours with no single tutorial watched. I just like equipment more, and since this is my first approach to DJ equipment, I had no idea how to connect those.

I also see no point in buying 2 times cheaper equipment to only see that I want a better one after a while and then sell it. This is not a car, I can't crash it because I'm a noob. And if it turns out that Djing is really not my thing, I can sell the expensive one anyway.

Also, I don't understand what makes the NXS series so wrong for noobs, the sync button? Or is the slip mode, or beat quantize so complex and difficult to understand that I have to go through equipment that don't have it in the first place? Or maybe the display is only for people with DJ experience?

sorry for my grammar, English is not my mother tongue.

I'm selling a 900 Nexus Mixer in the for sale forums It's the club standard along with CDJ2000 Nexuses!
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

I don't have too much money.
    I also see no point in buying 2 times cheaper equipment
    Then the problem is NOT that you are a noob at DJ'ing - the problem is that you're a noob with money.

I also see no point in buying 2 times cheaper equipment to only see that I want a better one after a while and then sell it.
    Same thing goes for mixers as it does for CDJ's. In fact, probably more so!

If I were you, I would snap eggy's hands of and buy his mixer, and compromise on the CDJs. 2000NXS's are NOT good value for money.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

If I were you, I would snap eggy's hands of and buy his mixer, and compromise on the CDJs. 2000NXS's are NOT good value for money.
    Thanks Patch.

I also don't see the point in cheaping out on a mixer when you just bought two of the most expensive cdjs on the market. Might as well get a 900 nexus so you have a setup that mimics the equipment that most clubs use. It's a huge advantage to know that you can go anywhere with a couple USBs and play just as you play at home.

Not to mention, you can always sell your gear at a small loss later if you really think it's overkill.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Then the problem is NOT that you are a noob at DJ'ing - the problem is that you're a noob with money.

Same thing goes for mixers as it does for CDJ's. In fact, probably more so!

Yeah, I might be a noob with money, you're right about that. However when I decide to spend given amount of money for something there is a tiny chance for talking me out of it, that's just me.
    Recently I decided that I'll buy CDJ900 nexus, or maybe even XDJ-1000. I don't like the touchscreen idea, but am tempted with BeatJump and needle search. Basically XDJ-1000 has almost all functions of 2000nxs, (needle search, hotcues) and even more, but is 2x cheaper. I wonder why?

thanks for some tips

Quote Originally Posted by monokei View Post
    Yeah, I might be a noob with money, you're right about that. However when I decide to spend given amount of money for something there is a tiny chance for talking me out of it, that's just me.
    Recently I decided that I'll buy CDJ900 nexus, or maybe even XDJ-1000. I don't like the touchscreen idea, but am tempted with BeatJump and needle search. Basically XDJ-1000 has almost all functions of 2000nxs, (needle search, hotcues) and even more, but is 2x cheaper. I wonder why?

thanks for some tips
    The XDJ1000 is cheaper because it's technically their entry level full size player. Yes it has almost all the features from the 2000NXS, but the build quality isn't great and you lack 90% of the buttons as the 2000NXS. Although between the 900s & XDJs, definitely go for the XDJs.