Modular alternative to Traktor S4 and 2 x F1's
    Tech Convert

Default Modular alternative to Traktor S4 and 2 x F1's

Hi, I need a little help or direction looking for new equipment.

I currently have an S2 and was looking to upgrade to an S4 along with 2 x F1. My friend decided to put an iron in the fire when he questioned how much i actually use the jog wheels, to which i agree no very much.

I have now been looking more down the modular route as i think this is a great way to
    a. expand your kit when you want.
    b. only take out parts of it to suit where your playing

The kits i have been considering now is
    Traktor Z2
    1 or 2 F1's
    1 or 2 X1's

The one thing that puts me off the Z2 slightly is the 2+2 channels.

My question is that looking at the modular kit i have chosen, would you change the mixer and is 2 x F1's and 2 x X1's overkill? and am i loosing anything by not going down the S4 route and 2 x F1's

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

M

Tech Wizard

What about an S8? Or do you need more pads?

Tech Convert

Im not totally convinced with the S8
    a. The size of it
    b. I believe its a pain to beat match if you don't like using sync, also some of my music is old house so sync does not alway work.

I like the idea of modular because i can add what i want to the step and take out only what i need,

if youre planning on mixing on more than 2 decks , go with a 4 channel mixer. nothing more annoying than having tracks in deck A and C and not being able to EQ at the same time. If you only EVER mix on 2 the z2 would be fine.

also im a huge believer of the akai apc40 with traktor. it can be mapped to do all that an s8 can do.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Wizard

I've got a similar modular setup - 2 X1's and an F1. I use a DJM750 mixer though which gives me 4 channel external mixing.

I'm using the F1 for effect control more than samples and for playing out I've got an audio 2 to plug into house mixers so the setup becomes x1, f1, audio2 - nice and easy to transport!

The modular setup is the way to go definitely!

Hmmmm, I started out with a Z1 and F1 then got a 4Trak to try jogwheels out. I like jogwheels to tell you the truth, But yanking a 4Trak to a club isnt really practical right so I decided to get a 2 ch mixer to be totally modular. I really like my modular setup as it is but been toying with the idea of another X1. I think 2 X1s a F1 and a Z1 would be a killer setup. I think the weak point in modular setups like yours and mine is the mixer. Although Im sure it can be done how would you control volume for Ch C+D and route effects.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    Although Im sure it can be done how would you control volume for Ch C+D and route effects.
    with a shift modifier to swap between a/b and c/d or whichever ,but , no control over all EQs at once is a bummer.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I think the weak point in modular setups like yours and mine is the mixer. Although Im sure it can be done how would you control volume for Ch C+D and route effects.
    Throw a Behringer CMD MM1 or Xone K2 into the Mix