Sorting my music out properly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Sorting my music out properly

I am a traktor user and sorry i couldn't see a traktor forum on the software so ill post it here

Basically I ill be upgrading to a mac and currently my music is all over the place in traktor and my desktop in loads of folders.and i wanted to make sure this dosnt happen on my mac.but it was my fault for being lazy and making loads of ramdom folders just so i could play my new songs and they are all together straight away

in my music folder on my desktop i have about 15 subfolders, house,garage hip hop etc now say if added 20 new songs would it be best to just sort them out in desktop then sort them out in traktor ? becuase what ive been doing is making loads of folders for my new songs then just putting them into place in traktor and a year down the line my songs are everywhere.

i just wanna make sure i do it correctly when i get my mac. Is that how most most of you guys do it sorting them out before youve even touched traktor and i dont like itunes and will never use it any off ideas would be great but i think because i just left it for so longs thats why everything a mess.

Tech Guru

Throw them all into one big folder, and go through all the metadata to make sure its correct. Its a painful job, but it will pay for itself hundreds of times over in functionality. If you dont make the time to do this, you will never be on top of your library.

Get over your hate of itunes, its an excellent music manager. Almost all problems with it are caused by databases full of crappy metadata from pirated downloads. My itunes library of 16k tracks is perfectly tagged, and i have zero problems with itunes. Its fast, stable and snappy, and this is on PC.

Let go of files and folders and use metadata, its much more powerful and flexible when you are building playlists and want to search by a specific group of tags. Itunes lets you do this, then just import the playlist into traktor through the itunes node.

Just make a new playlist in traktor with the date every time you add new files to keep up with new tracks. Or just sort your collection by import date.

The other piece of advice is to delete most of your library if its pirated and start again. If you are only buying tracks, your collection will be much smaller, and much more likely to reflect your personal music style. My DJ library is only 800 tracks, and I cant see it getting much larger.

Tech Wizard

Another tip is create a new iTunes library JUST for for djing, so you get rid of all the stuff you listen too personally. Declutter and properly meta tag FTW!

Tech Mentor

thanks

Tech Mentor

i have never heard of meta data or meta tags. i will research it before i start the move.

Using Win or Mac atm?
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    Using Win or Mac atm?
    Windows mate should be getting my mac in 2 days

If you use windows, I would thoroughly recommend a few progs to help. Firstly, get your names in order, use a prog called 'bulk rename utility' very powerful prog to rename tunes in a uniform manner, it's small, but I found it's function immeasurable. Once all the titles are sorted, you can re-tag (metatag/id3) your mp3's. MP3tag is a prog I also use. when the titles are sorted, for example Artist - Track, you can remove the existing tag, (select all / delete tag) then reinstate the new tag as the Artist and Title from the filename. Again, very powerful, and extremely fast. I sorted thousands of tracks this way. With the tag program too, you can specify various aspects of the tag, such as year, genre, graphic, comment etc. And do as many as you need at a time. It's what I use, and it has done me well, I have em all in traktor like this, and it's super effective.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Mixed in Key Platinum notes and metabliss are excellent programs to fine tune and rinse your tracks before they hit anything you use to play them. PN is not as important as the other two, metabliss will bulk tag your files for you, remove spaces and numerical characters, and MiK will rinse the meta tag so they read perfectly in browses. I have spent way too much time in prep, that's a strong point in this game. Forget about sorting through folders, dump files into one big ass crate with everything in it being able to browse fast and easily. You will make your playlists and sets within the traktor ecosystem.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    If you use windows, I would thoroughly recommend a few progs to help. Firstly, get your names in order, use a prog called 'bulk rename utility' very powerful prog to rename tunes in a uniform manner, it's small, but I found it's function immeasurable. Once all the titles are sorted, you can re-tag (metatag/id3) your mp3's. MP3tag is a prog I also use. when the titles are sorted, for example Artist - Track, you can remove the existing tag, (select all / delete tag) then reinstate the new tag as the Artist and Title from the filename. Again, very powerful, and extremely fast. I sorted thousands of tracks this way. With the tag program too, you can specify various aspects of the tag, such as year, genre, graphic, comment etc. And do as many as you need at a time. It's what I use, and it has done me well, I have em all in traktor like this, and it's super effective.
    thanks mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast