Older DJ's
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Older DJ's

Default Older DJ's

Any of them out there?

I'm 37 years old now, with a young daughter and it's not like I DJ for money, local fame or any other reason you'd care to mention. Having DJ'ed at a lot of local nightspots when I was younger I now only dabble when I get the chance at home, but I still yearn for the chance to play at big parties. I've watched the digital revolution with amazement and embraced it with as much enthusiasm as I embraced house music back in the late 80's/early 90's. I've even started building my own MIDI controller!

The thing is I often feel like the only living boy in (add your home town here). Is there anyone else out there whose fire still burns bright after all these years? Please tell me I'm not the only one.

You're not the only one, mate! I'm 32 and still spin at home.

There's no need to stop doing what yuou enjoy just because you're getting older.

I wish I could still skateboard on a weekend!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Yeah, I am an old dude @ 39. Back in the early 90s a great friend of mine turned me on with Jam n Spoon, Josh Wink's United DJs of America and the artists at Moonshine label. I have been extremely entusiastic about House, Techno and Breaks since...plus DnB, Jungle...you get the point.
    It really wasn't until the last few years though that I had the time to start doing my own thing "behind the decks". Lol, I startd out in 98 with a Microsoft joystick and CarrotTop (I think that's the name) software. I don't gig very much but love to give out my own batch of cookies to special friends. Music is my drug of choice.

EDIT:
    Also, I really like what i've seen develop over the last 6-7 years with controllerism and digital DJ'ing. This is a new arena that I believe has breathed fresh air into the medium of EDM and think that the next few years is promising in regards to the evolution of the genre(s).

dan
    Last edited by space monkey; 11-07-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Oh yeeeeaaah /kool-aid

38 here m8 and i got my first 1210's and phonic mixer when i was 16 got my first job and went down Homerton high street in hackney and got them on finance currently buying a house with the missus, but i am so happy to be able to mix again, the whole dj thing has changed a lot in the 13 years i took a break but I'm loving it, definitely not going to stop again as i am not doing it for the money or fame and if i get to play out that's just a bonus to me, on top of that an old dj friend and good mate is producing an ep of house with me, so i get to release something again for the first time since 1993 lol.

"I'm getting too old for this shit," stated Mr. Digweed, 42

"I've got arthritis in my mixing finger and my hearing aid doesn't work," said Mr. Cox, 47
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

33 here, 1,5 year old daughter same story...

All for the love of music.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

You got a year on me, T plus i didn't start playing till 4 years ago (late bloomer)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

There is a mobile DJ I heard about who does weddings and corporate stuff in his seventies. That is the joy of this business. You don't have to stop. Music will continue on as long as it is good. How old are the Rolling Stones? Still touring I believe. The key is to adapt WITH the music to stay relevant. Experience will give you ability to move ANY crowd, with old and new technics. This is why I went digital.

Plus I want to save my back from lugging all that equipment- LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    You got a year on me, T plus i didn't start playing till 4 years ago (late bloomer)
    My first recorded set dates back to .... August 2007. (Still on vinyl. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I just turned 32 and have been playing around djing about 3 years now, a little more serious the last 9 months(have had about 4 gigs). Started with some cds, switched to all digital, and now wanting to go to DVS.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast