Working for free? Quantify everything...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Working for free? Quantify everything...

Some sage advice about those times when you do decide to work for free....

If you're even considering working for free, you're probably in a creative profession — writing, filmmaking, fashion, live performance. It's rare that anyone asks a dental hygienist or a bartender to work for free.

Let's get more specific. I believe in contracts. I believe in quantifying everything. I believe that if someone wants you to work for free, you can take charge of the situation and turn it into cash (or something else of value).
    http://www.refinery29.com/daily-worth/105#slide
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

It's hard to get paid in an industry where the business model has completely flipped upside down.....

The Dj industry right now is really messed up.

Here's what happened, the managing of the industry has been left to young, inexperienced and greedy individuals. Shifting the power away from the performer and into the hands of the promoter. Which could very well be some 19 year old kid. The internet has done the deed on two accounts.

1.Illegal downloading of music is rampant, totally draining the pockets of record companies and producers alike.

2.All promotion happens on a digital level, making it very easy for a promoters to make every dj or producer sound like "the next big name".

The next big problem...DRUGS. Now I know drugs have always been a factor in night clubs, but now more than ever. After a while EVERYTHING starts to sound good when you're high. Club-goes have a less discerning ear. Opening the door for sub-par producers and djs to spread their mediocre music. Sub-par djs will always play for free because they are amazed that they can get a gig. And promoters will book them because THEY are amazed that they can pack a house with a free dj!! IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE.

Also most promoters are drug dealers...but we will leave that for another discussion.

Like I said, the business is wack. Quality underground djs are at the bottom.

I went from playing every single weekend in state and out of state, to slowly tapering off to 2 gigs a month. I will really only play out of state now if I can get a Fri/Sat lined up back to back, otherwise it's just not worth it.

...I'm stepping off my soapbox now

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    It's hard to get paid in an industry where the business model has completely flipped upside down.....

Here's what happened, the managing of the industry has been left to young, inexperienced and greedy individuals. Shifting the power away from the performer and into the hands of the promoter. Which could very well be some 19 year old kid. The internet has done the deed on two accounts.

1.Illegal downloading of music is rampant, totally draining the pockets of record companies and producers alike.

2.All promotion happens on a digital level, making it very easy for a promoters to make every dj or producer sound like "the next big name".

The next big problem...DRUGS. Now I know drugs have always been a factor in night clubs, but now more than ever. After a while EVERYTHING starts to sound good when you're high. Club-goes have a less discerning ear. Opening the door for sub-par producers and djs to spread their mediocre music. Sub-par djs will always play for free because they are amazed that they can get a gig. And promoters will book them because THEY are amazed that they can pack a house with a free dj!! IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE.

Also most promoters are drug dealers...but we will leave that for another discussion.

I went from playing every single weekend in state and out of state, to slowly tapering off to 2 gigs a month. I will really only play out of state now if I can get a Fri/Sat lined up back to back, otherwise it's just not worth it.

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money
    trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and
    pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Haha well all these things are true.... I couldn't agree more with last two posts... There was a time where subpar was not acceptable but those days are gone when tools make it easier to be good at mixing there is no weeding out of subpar.... Easy mixing means anyone no matter how musically inept they are at picking tracks doesn't matter... This more so when you can goto beatport find the top 10 then find various pirating sites and download and wow they made djmag top 10..... Same the days of making every set a unique journey are no more but it'll come again always does just have older people shaking their heads going What The Fuck⚡

and that is the gospel #thedjgospel lol... haha so true. I have met owners of clubs who gave me tickets to the wrong show and said, bring us customers and we might let you play for free lol. i never called them agian...

I actually had a long convo with the owner of a venue (one of the good ones), we were talking shows with each other. he was talking about how one of the other owners was asked to perform for free at a festival. lol she was bitching at the fact that they already used her for the commercial.

this is why i love playing my underground shows. everyone pays, the money is split, everyone has fun its great ... only problem is its not really a sustainable form of income, but meh lol

AMEN! Nothing to add.

Tech Mentor

everything has a price. remember that mostapha?
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    everything has a price. remember that mostapha?
    Damn bro....old bones!

Was interesting to watch you to bitches pull each others hair tho! HAHAHAHAHAHAH
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast