Setup = MF3D + Twister + Orbit --> Issues
    Tech Convert

Default Setup = MF3D + Twister + Orbit --> Issues

Hi All!

I have a MF3D, Twister and Orbit which are part of my setup and they worked beautifully until recently when I tried to change one of the mappings on the MF3D.

I had the Twister running the Sequencer on Deck D along with Stewe's All-in-one mapping, which I used as a rotary mixer. This has been a godsend, so cool to have a freakin step sequencer in a set!

My MF3D had Beaubrytes all-in-one mapping, which I used mainly for the IG effects. I also supplemented the MF3D with the orbit, but in essence they both did the same effects more or less.

Anyways, so I tried swapping out Beaubrytes all-in-one mapping for Ean's "jam on it" mapping, because I wanted to use Deck C to trigger samples, fills and effects... sometimes all at the same time. This is when my setup broke. It appears "jam on it" uses the same midi signals as the Twister, and pressing a button on one controller makes the other controller do all sorts of unwanted crazy things. On top of that, some effects will randomly switch or stay on until triggered off, creating a disaster as opposed to a fun, great sounding set.

Now, I can revert to Beaubrytes awesome mapping, but its slightly redundant now that I have the Twister & I like how the "jam on it" mapping has a larger selection of effects plus uses more of the accelerometer. I really want the MF3D to do effects and/or samples from the remix deck on Deck C.

I really suck at mapping in Traktor. I'm an Ableton guy production wise, but Traktor mapping just looks like an insane PITA to me.

So my questions is, what can I do now?

Is there a small fix I'm overlooking?

Are there mappings out there similar to "jam on it" for samples+effects on an MF3D that will play nice with a Twister?

---
    I really need help here. Worse come to worse I will revert to the old mapping on the MF3D, but I really want add the "jam on it" remix deck in my setup.

Really appreciate the help!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Hey 8bit,

This could be issue with incorrect MIDI In-port Out-port settings. Did you ensure to set each part of the mapping to corresponding midi controller and not "All Ports"?

Tech Convert

Yep, I have the correct ports. I reinstalled all the mappings and seem to have less issues but some stuff still persists.

I'm trying to use "jam on it" however can't get the remix deck HID mode to play the effects at the same time. I started doing some editing to "jam on it" in the MF Utility and its a little better, not as glitchy. Judging by the comments many users have similar issues to mine and the "jam on it" mapping.

Ok cool - I can recreate your setup and investigate this. Will get back to you with a state. Thanks for reporting!

Tech Convert

Thanks appreciate it. After a few refreshes and re-intalls of TSI files, some of the issues have gone away, but some remain.

I want to use the MF3D to control samples and effects or both at the same time, Ean style.
    The Twister is strictly a sequencer + used as a rotary mixer (the all in one mapping makes it so easy to pick songs, loop, etc).
    The Orbit is strictly for effects, most are similar to whats on the MF3D anyways, but the jog wheel is pretty sweet.

This is my stand-alone mobile setup, however I will whip out the Traktor Z1 if its more serious. If its a club or a place with a legit sound system I use their DJM or Xone instead of the Z1. I'm looking into getting a DJM/XONE for myself but honestly don't see the point and don't want to carry heavy gear. If anything it will be studio gear, but at a pretty penny.

Tech Convert

Another issue I'm trying to work around is I can't get the samples to play at the same time with effect on Deck C using the latest "jam on it" TSI.

I saw some users say they had success after they updated the F1 driver. When I DLed the utility from NI, it does say my MF3D f1 driver is out of date, however the MF Utility says its up to date. Any ideas regarding this too?

Great mapping btw Stewe on the Twister, the all-in-one is your handiwork correct?

Tech Convert

Update: So I decided to delete and reload TSI files, same with mappings for all controllers, evened a factory reset for the MF3D. Then I did this 4x, just to make sure they are all clear and fresh. Also I switched the Orbit mapping from Nebula 4 deck to Nebula 2 deck.

Everything is working a lot smoother, but some oddities remain. When turning Traktor on, on FX4, the middle effect engages until I disengage, as does the left one at times. This is only on FX4 and only when initially starting Traktor.

The "midi cross-talk" appears to be gone for the most part, but I do get glitches like FX that don't want to switch (ex Reverb to beat masher) when using the Orbit and MF3D alternately. My current workaround is to briefly engage the effect a few times, which works, but in a live situation may sound messy at times lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitslave View Post
    Another issue I'm trying to work around is I can't get the samples to play at the same time with effect on Deck C using the latest "jam on it" TSI.
    This feature is definitely gone... I'm building MIDI version of the "Jam On It" mapping that you will be able to use until we push the new Utility update. True, you won't be able to see correct Cell colors like with the F1 driver but you will be able to use your favorite mapping again

I saw some users say they had success after they updated the F1 driver.
    Didn't work for me though...

Great mapping btw Stewe on the Twister, the all-in-one is your handiwork correct?
    The All-In-One Twister mapping is based on Ean's ideas entirely, BeauBrite and I made a few prototypes and then decided to go with this as a final model. Glad you like it!

When turning Traktor on, on FX4, the middle effect engages until I disengage, as does the left one at times. This is only on FX4 and only when initially starting Traktor.

I do get glitches like FX that don't want to switch (ex Reverb to beat masher) when using the Orbit and MF3D alternately. My current workaround is to briefly engage the effect a few times, which works, but in a live situation may sound messy at times lol.
    I see what you mean. No worries - I can set a couple of snap shot commands to fix that.

The mapping should be up in a week for the most, but I could use some help with testing it. Please PM me with your email if you're interested and I can provide a beta mapping as soon as possible.

Done. Let me know how this works for you!

https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/4259

Tech Mentor

I figured it out thanks from this thread

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    Hey Beaubryte,

I have emailed you - but for everyone else, to use multiple Midi Fighter 3D's or any other Midi Fighter which may or may not also have remix deck functionality at the same time you need to set an alternate device number.

To do this simply hold down one of the first four arcade buttons on the top row while powering on the unit. Each arcade button corresponds to a different device number. You only need to do this once.

Traktor will now see them as unique
    Last edited by MKMusic; 04-09-2015 at 12:33 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 3.01 /MacOS High Sierra/Macbook Pro 13inch Early 2015
    MF Twister /Kontrol F1/Kontrol X1 Mk2 x 2/XDJ 1000 MK2 x2/Maschine Mk2/RMX 1000
    DJM 900 Nxs2 /HDJ X10s