Where to get feedback, positive criticism.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to get feedback, positive criticism.

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and new to abelton however have been a dj for over 15 years.

Forgive me if this question has already been asked but where do guys get input and feedback from for your tracks is there a website. I know of soundcloud however the track am working on is not complete, I would just like some feedback to see if any one feels it is as good as I do.

I've been listening to it for ages whilst in the production stage so I feel am getting a bit numb to the sound but thought I was on to a blinder to begin with.

Am a total noob on the production side, and am starting to get a bit lost and confused.

I dont want to just go round forum going hey listen to me, am not about that. But surely there must be some sort of feedback website, where genuine people like to help each other out on tracks and maybe something I could become apart of.

I know I can spot a good tune when I hear one I just dont know whether I am being a bit to critical of my own work.

Would love to hear back from you all, thanks in advance and great forum by the way.

hi and welcome!

i know i sure battle some of those same feelings , and im sure a lot of artists do, as far as being over critical or getting too into an idea and not knowing where to take it, or where to stop. while its definitely good to give your ears a break from a tune, its also good to strike while the iron is hot and try to stay on top of the tune before it ends up being an unfinished 16 bar loop. but some ideas are meant to die too, dont forget!

i know there are certified ableton training packages available all over the web that include weekly or so feedback and even sometimes face to face via skype sessions, along with other instruction. this is a good option if you can afford it because if you can land a trainer you jive with, they can really help you identify your weaknesses.

this forum also has a production and mixes section where you can attempt to get feedback, but it can be hard to get people to engage with you in my experience.

there are sites like reverb nation where i think you can get critques of your stuff, but ive heard people can be very harsh.

that said, you really need to soul search before you ask someone to listen to unfinished music, because you are gradually removing yourself from the creative process when you ask for feedback. take the time to experiment with different patterns and arrangements, slowly discovering new "keeper" segments , and take time to edit out things that dont fit the bill. just dont take too much time, or youll go stale. ride the track to completion!

im no expert by any means but i just thought id share my thoughts, since like i said i also go through a lot of this stuff too.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Get humble and ask for it. Here and other online music production forums are good places.

Biggest problem I've had is learning what to listen for - essentially learning how to listen during production. I wouldn't have learned that without asking for feedback and getting it.

If you can honestly listen to constructive feedback and honestly admit that something that you've spent countless hours on isn't as good as you think it is...you'll get a lot better a lot quicker.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Post what you want feedback on here and I'll do my best to help

With the age of the Internet troll there will always be people that are very critical of what you make so having thick skin and an open mind that's able to take it on the chin helps. That said the people here are very friendly and I haven't seen any form of harsh criticism in any thread. If you believe your sitting on good material then share it, you may find after some constructive criticism that your not as far along with it as you thought but being willing to share a track is the first step, it shows your confident in your work and feel it's somewhat ready to share with the world, good luck I'm intrigued to hear what you have, aslong as your enjoying doing what you do and enjoy it - keep at it don't let anyone tell you different

I would suggest giving other users feedback as well, posting it and running is kinda lame.

Adding to what Kwal says, I would suggest starting by offering constructive criticism to other folks first... people are a lot more inclined to return the favor, and you can start to build a relationship with the folks instead of just getting their input.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Am so sorry for the late reply.

I honestly didn't realize any one had responded to this.

I will certainly take all of your advice I feel it is only fair that I give people feedback before expecting any myself.

I will then post my work on here if that's allowed, to be fair I really do want genuine feedback as your m8s will always say oh that sounds epic even if it is a load of crap.

Thanks again.

Tech Wizard

To be honest, I feel that looking for feedback is a waste of time and a step in the wrong direction. If you start critiquing your work WHILE working on it, it's very easy to start doubting yourself and get in your own way. If you're "in the groove" and you start taking time to analyze your unfinished track, you will NECESSARILY get yourself out of the groove. It's important to not get emotionally attached to your tracks, as that can slow you down ALOT and can even keep you from moving on to other tracks if one isn't working. So if you make a track, and people think it sucks, don't go back to try to fix it! Just make your next track. Eventually they will get better. There are tons of tutorials out there on different synths and productions techniques, and many great books that can act as good starting-off points. But at the end of the day, it's PRACTICE that will get you where you want to be, not analysis.

Just my 22 cents

Dance Music Manual
    http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Ma.../dp/0415825644
    This is a fantastic book that covers the vast majority of what you'll ever find on the internet

Also, never neglect to read the manuals of whatever synths or programs you use! It'll save you alot of time on youtube

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Hagen View Post
    To be honest, I feel that looking for feedback is a waste of time and a step in the wrong direction. If you start critiquing your work WHILE working on it, it's very easy to start doubting yourself and get in your own way. If you're "in the groove" and you start taking time to analyze your unfinished track, you will NECESSARILY get yourself out of the groove. It's important to not get emotionally attached to your tracks, as that can slow you down ALOT and can even keep you from moving on to other tracks if one isn't working. So if you make a track, and people think it sucks, don't go back to try to fix it! Just make your next track. Eventually they will get better. There are tons of tutorials out there on different synths and productions techniques, and many great books that can act as good starting-off points. But at the end of the day, it's PRACTICE that will get you where you want to be, not analysis.

Just my 22 cents

Dance Music Manual
    http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Ma.../dp/0415825644
    This is a fantastic book that covers the vast majority of what you'll ever find on the internet

Also, never neglect to read the manuals of whatever synths or programs you use! It'll save you alot of time on youtube

Cheers!
    Meh, I know what you mean and for a while I was getting shit feedback from producers because they want the track to be how they vision it. I send my tunes so like minded producers whom I know and they know my style. Much easier that way.

@ OP post your song in the mixes and productions forum when it's done and I'll check it, although nobody will say a word because most are only concerned with their song/mix thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast