DDJ-SB For Temporary Use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DDJ-SB For Temporary Use?

Long story short, moved houses, 'movers' dropped my DDJ-SX, cant do anything about it, need something to practice on till I save up for 1 year for CDJ-2000nxs.

How is the DDJ-SB? It's $300 which is a joke, there must be something missing if the price is that low....I might be wrong so please correct me. It has all basic functions, and it has filter fade.

Is this a good practice controller? I'm not looking for 4 deck mixer, I just need 2 to practice, but apart from that are there any flaws in it, how is it different from say, DDJ-SR which is $600 (double the cost)

The DDJ-SB has almost everything except the 8 pads at the bottom for slicing, but is that a big deal.

REMINDER: this is only for 1 year.

Let me know,

Cheers.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Parth Vader View Post
    Long story short, moved houses, 'movers' dropped my DDJ-SX, cant do anything about it, need something to practice on till I save up for 1 year for CDJ-2000nxs.

How is the DDJ-SB? It's $300 which is a joke, there must be something missing if the price is that low....I might be wrong so please correct me. It has all basic functions, and it has filter fade.

Is this a good practice controller? I'm not looking for 4 deck mixer, I just need 2 to practice, but apart from that are there any flaws in it, how is it different from say, DDJ-SR which is $600 (double the cost)

The DDJ-SB has almost everything except the 8 pads at the bottom for slicing, but is that a big deal.

REMINDER: this is only for 1 year.

Let me know,

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure you only get the VERY basic version of serato with it so you will basically have to buy serato if you dont already have it.

Mate why start a new post when this is clearly a continuation of the conversation in your other post about a new set up? Mods should be looking to merge these to keep things tidy.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You will ..

Lose Effects
    Feels "cheap"
    Much lower quality Soundcard than even the WeGo
    Unless you spend another $100 lose Serato (full version) ...

IMHO - buy something secondhand.
    Last edited by deevey; 03-08-2015 at 11:43 PM.

Tech Mentor

Buy an used SR. Pretty much same feel and usage as the SX, but 2 channels less.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antunica View Post
    I'm pretty sure you only get the VERY basic version of serato with it so you will basically have to buy serato if you dont already have it.
    He can use his SX license

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    He can use his SX license
    Are you sure ? .. I thought the license was locked to the controller that it was installed with

*Edit- my suspicions seem to be correct*

From Serato:

The DDJ-SX is a pro controller, and comes with a free upgrade to Serato DJ linked exclusively to that hardware.

The DDJ-SB is an intro controller, and can be used with Serato DJ Intro for free. To use a intro controller with the full version of Serato DJ, you need a standalone Serato DJ licence. You can get that here - store.serato.com

Hope that helps :-)

http://whitelabel.net/forum/discussion/1351169
    Last edited by deevey; 03-09-2015 at 02:57 PM.

I too was wondering how this kit is so cheap.... I have a ns6 but the headphone jack/sound card must be cutting. Up because get really weird shit going on even Stand alone no computer hooked up being used as a standard mixer... Oddly enough it's only on the 1/4 & 1/8 jack but it makes it terribly hard to mix track due to the sound issue so anyhow I was looking at the sb also until I could get my hands on a xdj-rx but I'm also looking at other serato controller just the sb price point caught my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    I too was wondering how this kit is so cheap.... I have a ns6 but the headphone jack/sound card must be cutting. Up because get really weird shit going on even Stand alone no computer hooked up being used as a standard mixer... Oddly enough it's only on the 1/4 & 1/8 jack but it makes it terribly hard to mix track due to the sound issue so anyhow I was looking at the sb also until I could get my hands on a xdj-rx but I'm also looking at other serato controller just the sb price point caught my eyes
    If I were in your shoes I'd bring it to an electronics shop and get your NS6 repaired, probably just needs a replacement jack or internal cable re-soldered to stop the sound breaking up.

IF you just need something basic as a backup, sure, it'll fill the gap, but if you are already used to the features of the full version Serato you will probably find it lacking.

There are plenty of other controllers in the same price range too e.g. Denon, Reloop, Numark so no need to wonder how its so cheap, its a competitor with almost the same specs and same software at the same price point - simples

Quote Originally Posted by Parth Vader View Post

How is the DDJ-SB? It's $300 which is a joke, there must be something missing if the price is that low....
    It's partly low due to the reasons mentioned above (cut down features, no full version of software etc), and it's partly low because it falls into a product bracket where there are a ton of competing models from other manufacturers (some of which are as good as or superior to the SB) which means Pioneer aren't able to chuck such a hefty premium on them as they are with their other products (i.e the 2000nexus).

Remember the Pioneer DJM-T1 2-channel scratch mixer with built-in Traktor soundcard. It cost £1,200ish upon release. Then NI subsequently release their own Z2 mixer for less than half the price of the T1 and obviously everyone stops buying the Pioneer. Pioneer then magically drop the price of the T1 all the way down to around £560, I suspect leaving lots of early buyers feeling rather annoyed... That difference between the £1,200 release price and the £560 revised price is indicative of the premium you will have to pay for any of Pioneer's 'market leading' products (i.e where no competitors are making anything as good).

Where they offer something that nobody else can they will make you pay an eye-watering premium for that privilege. But as there are so many other great alternatives to the DDJ-SB, they are forced into charging a reasonable price- else they simply wouldn't sell (very many).

If anything I would argue the SB is still overpriced at $300 when you look at the competitors, but on the flip side if you are only keeping it for a year you probably won't lose much on it when you come to sell, which would probably offset the difference.
    Last edited by Irrational Fear; 03-11-2015 at 11:50 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/ekmobile.entertainment / http://soundcloud.com/dave-eden
    2 Denon SC2900, Denon Dn-x1600, 2 Vestax PDX2000mk2, 2 Technics 1210, Stanton SK6, Gemini SA600mk2, Pio HDJ1500, 2 Synergy CD2000 (antiques)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast