Need your opinion...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Need your opinion...

Hi everybody,

I need your opinion. I came from Europe where I used to DJ but not often, so I have some experience. Now I live in California. I'm interested in playing mostly House music, electro, deep whatever. What's the easiest way to get started where you don't have friends and don't know anybody? Can I just approach a Pub/Bar manager and ask for a gig? From your experience what's the easiest way to get started? Thanks!

U can easily ask anyone for a gig... But I'd be very sure I was ready to rock just in case they say yes.

Do u have equipment? Lots of good music? Confidence in your abilities to get in front of a crowd?

If so you should record a demo and then you can try to shop yourself to the local bars or whatever.. But I'd be prepared to get minimal or no compensation(payment) since you don't know anyone, and would have no draw.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Wizard

I agree with what you said! Yes, I do have all of those things but still after reading various topic on the internet about how you need to spend night and days getting to know the place and the DJ before asking for a gig doesn't make me feel any better. I'm not that type of person who wants to do it this way. What I want is just to go and ask with no "foreplay".

BTW nowadays what's better to use CDJs or Traktor with controller for playing House music?

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    U can easily ask anyone for a gig... But I'd be very sure I was ready to rock just in case they say yes.

Do u have equipment? Lots of good music? Confidence in your abilities to get in front of a crowd?

If so you should record a demo and then you can try to shop yourself to the local bars or whatever.. But I'd be prepared to get minimal or no compensation(payment) since you don't know anyone, and would have no draw.

yes... make demos... post them on to soundcloud/mixcloud.

you can also cheat a little... what you can do is make up a venue name, and name your demo (X DJ @ X venue X date)... so people at least think you have started gigging.

Quote Originally Posted by Point38 View Post
    BTW nowadays what's better to use CDJs or Traktor with controller for playing House music?
    since you are already experienced you should easily be able to answer this question on your own.

ps: the answer is: whatever you feel most comfortable with.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Wizard

Thank you for an advice! Everywhere I read I see that you need to spend days and nights at a venue to get to know managers, bartenders, DJs etc., before asking for gig. If that's how things are done than it's not for me. I'd like to skip this foreplay thing. Can't I just go straight to the person who is responsible for the night and ask directly!?

Thank you for an advice! Everywhere I read I see that you need to spend days and nights at a venue to get to know managers, bartenders, DJs etc., before asking for gig. If that's how things are done than it's not for me. I'd like to skip this foreplay thing. Can't I just go straight to the person who is responsible for the night and ask directly!?
    just kiss a little ass... offer to help out with various other things, but don't sound needy

Tech Wizard

I know that Traktor is more suitable for EDM but CDJs feel more natural. I just don't know if anybody used CDs nowadays when there is USB port on every player.

I know that Traktor is more suitable for EDM
    Ummm...no...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Sorry my friend. New area...gotta kiss ass. It's the way of things in America. You have to be a supporter first before you can play music, unless of course you have 100,000 facebook followers then you have the power. Be seen first, then be heard.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast