Need help for Fader suppliers

Default Need help for Fader suppliers

Hello there,

This is my first topic on this forum and feel good to be around.

I am looking to start a project of a MIDI controller. The key "component" of the project would be faders and I was looking to understand more about the technology for this part.

I have been reading a post from djtechtools on faders, but I was unable to understand the "keywords" so I can search for suppliers.

I think the type of fader I am interested in is
    the ones that skates along rails whilst conductive prongs stick out and tickle the conductive track.
    Are you aware of suppliers for this kind of faders, or any good supplier recommendation? Which are the value for money alternatives?

Thanks in advance,

Dmtrs

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Mouser, Digikey, RS, and Radioshack are the first online stores to come to mind, and of course Ebay.

10k Linear and what are used for midi generallly. The faders you are looking at though (with the slides) are pretty expensive for a one-off project, assuming its a midi controller might be overkill @ around $25-$30 per piece for ALPS ones and more for high end Penny & Giles versions.

Regular faders would probably do the trick just as well and are what are used in the majority of (even high end) controllers and mixers - even still @ $5-$10 for decent ALPS or Alphas, not that cheap if there are lots of them.

Hello there and thanks for the response.

Yeap it seems it will be indeed an overkill for $25-$30 per slider.

On the other side the midi controller will be relevant to a scratch mixer so I would like be to close to a light feeling on the fader.

Do you have to recommend any specs the Linear potentiometer should have to be close? Like material? etc.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by dmtrs View Post
    Hello there and thanks for the response.

Yeap it seems it will be indeed an overkill for $25-$30 per slider.

On the other side the midi controller will be relevant to a scratch mixer so I would like be to close to a light feeling on the fader.

Do you have to recommend any specs the Linear potentiometer should have to be close? Like material? etc.
    If its gonna be a scratch style mixer you could (and should) spend a few bucks on a decent x fader (e.g. innofader) and then you can just use regular $7 ALPS faders for the channels.

If you want a cheaper x-fader, the APC40 fader is about 20 bucks and light action.

http://www.mpcstuff.com/akai-apc40-c...ter-solder-in/

It seems (from the image) that the fader in the link you posted is an alpha fader, but not sure about the model.

I think I will start prototyping with the cheap ones and see what is the result.

Thanks againa